If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Senior Research Associate
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: M.S. or B.S. with related experience
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Molecular Biology, Biochemistry
Job Code: TD2231
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Senior Research Associate to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
The ideal candidate will have a M.S. or B.S. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or a related discipline with 1+ years of industry experience. The candidate would have a strong working knowledge of molecular biology techniques, understanding of protein-nucleic acid biochemistry and protein engineering as well as strong organizational skills. The candidate will work as part of a project team or in some instances independently with minimal supervision.
- Assist in methods to identify and characterize novel gene editing tools through data mining and biochemical assays
- Conduct screening assays in bacterial systems for the purposes of identifying potential candidate reagents
- Execution of molecular biology, cloning, cell culture, genome editing, transfection and a broad range of functional assays
- Accurately and timely record, document, analyze and communicate laboratory data to senior staff and team members
- Create and manage SOPs for all relevant workflows and/or methodologies.
- Demonstrate the ability to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative setting.
Knowledge, Experience, & Skills:
- Strong working knowledge of molecular biology and related laboratory techniques
- Experience with cloning, plasmid construction and related methods
- Familiarity with gene-editing is a plus
- Computer and scripting skills (Geneious, CLC Genomics Workbench, SQL, R, python)
- Prior industry experience in agriculture or plant biology is a plus
- Bioinformatics experience is a plus?
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and record-keeping skills, excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Highly motivated with strong work ethics. Ability to work efficiently and productively in a fast-paced highly collaborative team environment
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: TD2231.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.