If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Molecular Biology, Plant cell culture/biology, Gene Editing, or related field
Job Code: TD2136
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Research Associate to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
The ideal candidate will have a B.S/M.S. degree in Biological Sciences or in a related discipline with a minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in a research and/or development environment and demonstrated working knowledge of molecular biology techniques and plant tissue culture; or its equivalent. The candidate is expected to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Work as part of a team that investigates, creates, and develops new methods and technologies for project advancement and to further the understanding of the molecular processes of gene editing involved in the application of Cibus’ proprietary technologies.
- Primary responsibilities include conducting plant cell biology related tasks, such as in-vitro cell culture and in-vitro plant propagation and delivery of gene editing reagents to plant protoplasts aimed at meeting project goals.
- Follow standard operating procedures and troubleshooting related procedures.
- Utilize a broad suite of general, theoretical, and practical molecular biology techniques as well as plant cell culture techniques to complete assigned tasks.
- Communicate research findings through written reports and oral presentations.
- Demonstrate the ability to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative setting.
Knowledge, Experience, & Skills:
- General understanding of gene-editing methodologies is highly desired, but not required
- Experience working with aseptic technique to perform plant cell and tissue culture related tasks is required.
- Familiarity with microscopy, microphotography, and cytometry is required.
- Experience with nucleic acid purification, PCR and similar molecular biology-related techniques is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of Next Generation Sequencing techniques is a plus.
- Ability to draft scientific reports and analyze data using Excel is required.
- A desire and willingness to improve procedures by incorporating scientific literature and personal experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially communicating with other groups within the company.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Able to use judgment and make routine recommendations for resolving problems in moderately complex assignments.
- Highly proficient in MS Office Suite.
- Ability to adapt to minor changes in routine to achieve objectives.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: TD2136.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.