Current Job Openings
Associate Director, Project Management
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: BS, MS, in biological sciences, or MBA as a project manager, line manager, and/or agronomic functional area manager
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Project management expertise and leadership to one or more crop/traits project teams
Job Code: PM2119
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reduce waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for an Associate Director, Project Management to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature's own genetic diversity.
The Associate Director, Project Management is responsible for providing project management expertise and leadership to one or more crop/traits project teams.
- Works with project leaders to develop, gain approval, and execute project strategies and operational plans.
- Works with project leaders to provide timely, efficient, and action-oriented project team meetings
- With the team leader is responsible for project status reporting including timelines and milestones development, risk mitigation, and reporting.
- Working with the project leaders is responsible for coordinating team operations and communications.
- Works with project leaders to co-ordinate and resolve cross functional issues.
- May be responsible for supervising one or more Project Management Associates.
- Works within Project Management to develop, support, and improve policies, practices, processes, and tools.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Works with project leaders in the design, implementation, and update of Project Plans which define but are not limited to
- Scope of Work (SOW) – orchestrate the development and maintenance of project plans
- Product Concept Sheets – orchestrate the development and maintenance
- Resources, both personnel and CapEx, to ensure that functional area resources are sufficient to achieve project goals and objectives
- Milestones, timelines, and deliverables -- orchestrate the development and maintenance and motivate the team to deliver on time and on budget.
- Risk identification and mitigation strategies -- orchestrate the development and maintenance
- Provides leadership to the team and functional areas to anticipate and identify project issues which pose a challenge to achieving goals on time and on budget; proposes and implements plans to resolve such issues and execute corrective actions.
- With the team leader and legal, identify results that warrant discovery disclosures, patents, publications, etc., and then monitor and drive their completion.
- Responsible for project team Meeting Binders including Agenda, Action Items, and Minutes.
- Directs project communications and ensures that all project stakeholders are fully informed, knowledgeable, and current with project status.
- Works closely with finance and Traits Development to forecast and track resources and budgets.
- Assists business development in proposals including scope of work, resources, timelines, and milestones.
- Organizes project management support for functional areas on the project; attends project team and sub-team meetings; organizes ad hoc working groups.
- With the project leaders, guides smooth transition of projects between development phases and material handoffs within Cibus and with external partners.
- With the project leaders ensures project work complies with established practices, policies and processes and develops new practices, policies, and processes as needed.
- Assists in the review and editing of project team regulatory documents.
- May contribute to sections of regulatory, scientific and commercial documents.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PM2119.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.