If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Location: Mid-South USA (Remote Based)
Position Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: $86,000 - $91,000
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Agronomy, Plant & Soil Science, Weed Science, Plant Breeding & Genetics
Job Code: PD2334
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Research Agronomist in Product Development located in the Mid-South, USA (remote based). The successful applicant will plan, manage and oversee a field-testing program, focused on USA rice today, but in the future expanding responsibilities to other rice geographies and/or to other crops important to the Midwest/Mid-South areas.
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
- B.S. or M.S. in one of the agricultural sciences, such as Agronomy, Plant & Soil Science, Weed Science, Plant Breeding & Genetics, or related field.
- 3+ years prior industry experience in rice agronomy or research, including knowledge of small plot field testing.
- Ensure timely completion of trait evaluation trials in the field confirmation phase of testing for the designated territory.
- Plan, manage and execute all activities necessary to deliver high quality field data for trait evaluation trials for statistical analysis and trait confirmation.
- Lead trial protocol development, with Product Development Team and Commercial input, to ensure trial objectives and data collection meet requirements for advancement decision-making process.
- Maintain consistency in data collection and capture, including building ARM protocol files for cooperator handoff, in-season data check-ins and post-harvest data QC.
- Summarize data findings and communicate results to Product Development and Commercial stakeholders.
- Establish strong relationships with public and private affiliated rice technical influencers.
- Monitor and evaluate research trials conducted through third party cooperators, including regular site visits, on-going management/maintenance feedback and herbicide application oversight support when requested by cooperators.
- Maintain and expand third party cooperator testing network to meet testing objectives in key geographies.
- Establish and maintain industry presence and ensure that Cibus is up to date on current industry activities by participating in meetings and establishing contacts with external parties including key University researchers.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Commercial and/or contract employee teams to establish and achieve trial objectives.
- In collaboration with Commercial colleagues, develop trait technical documents to support product launch and positioning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and influence decision makers.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and experimental design principles.
- Experience with ARM research software, including creating protocols and data analysis.
- Knowledge and experience with UAV technology and remote sensing tools a plus.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a larger team.
- Strong foundation in following SOPs. Able to develop SOPs and perform troubleshooting on procedures.
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Possess, or ability to obtain, a valid State Pesticide Applicators License in working geography.
- Position will require significant travel during testing season for trial oversight and data capture at cooperator testing locations throughout the Mid-South.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as required.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work in high temperature and humidity conditions periodically throughout the summer months.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail your resume to and put down job code: PD2334.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.