If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Research Associate, Breeding and Development, Greenhouse
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: NGS, Data Analysis, Genotyping
Job Code: PD2216
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Research Associate, Breeding and Development, Greenhouse to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
- Perform all duties associated with the culture of a high-quality crop in a greenhouse setting. These duties may include planting, transplanting, watering, insect and disease control, seed processing, cross-pollinating, and establishing and monitoring optimal plant growth environments.
- Liaise with research staff on project timelines to accomplish required program goals.
- Troubleshoot existing processes and protocols to improve plant quality and develop new protocols when needed.
- Assist in managing the operational requirements of greenhouse and growth room facilities and equipment for efficient functioning of all programs, including greenhouse supply inventory.
- Participate in the improvement of greenhouse infrastructure as needed.
- Support local field-testing program including planting, conducting trial evaluations, and harvesting of research materials.
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:
- Familiarity of product development timelines.
- Knowledge and understanding of Integrated Pest Management principles and practices, plant propagation and culture methods, and soil and growth media preparation.
- Familiarity with fertilizers and pesticides.
- Familiarity with greenhouse and growth chamber lighting and control systems.
- Previous experience with Brassicas or cole crops in a greenhouse or research environment is a plus.
- Familiarity with marker assisted selection strategies in breeding and population development projects is a plus.
- Familiarity with crossing designs in a breeding program is a plus.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and experimental design principles is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with multiple levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate recordkeeping, and attention to detail.
- Able to use judgment and make recommendations for resolving problems in complex assignments.
- Highly proficient in Excel and MS Office suite. MS Access or another database experience a plus.
- Manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Strong foundation in following SOPs. Able to develop SOPs and perform troubleshooting on procedures.
- Ability to adapt to minor changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Ability to work under greenhouse and field-testing conditions, including lifting, bending and tolerating high temperatures for brief periods is required.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work in high temperature and humidity conditions in the greenhouse and field periodically throughout the summer months.
- Willing to obtain a pesticide applicator’s license.
- Willing to occasionally take care of plants during the weekend on a rotating schedule.
- Willing to travel to secondary greenhouse location.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD2216.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.