If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Automated Production Supervisor/Manager
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular (swing or second shift)
Required Education: B.S. / M.S. with experience
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Laboratory automation, FACS Production pipeline management (biologicals), Mammalian or Plant cell culture systems, Quality Systems Management, Logistics, High Throughput Screening
Job Code: PD2143
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for an Automated Production Supervisor/Manager. This position will be a part of a team focused on scaling our gene edited trait production pipeline. The position requires a B.S. with 10+ years of experience or M.S. with 7+ years of experience.
The successful applicant will manage a team tasked with carrying out the day-to-day logistics of the automated sampling and cell sorting production platform of plant cell cultures, supporting its patented gene editing technologies. This position will play a critical role in ensuring samples are processed efficiently and accurately using a state-of-the-art custom robotics platform.
- Oversee a team of 3-5 and participate in the day-to-day responsibilities of the automated sampling team and cell sorting teams, including operation and troubleshooting of a custom robotics platform.
- Coordinate team scheduling, logistics, and processing of sampling requests of biological materials being advanced in the gene editing pipeline.
- Integrate with cross-functional teams to manage sampling requests, handoffs, and forecast workload expectations. Manage the supply chain and build out shifts to meet increasing production needs.
- Work collaboratively with applications specialists and R&D staff on improving and scaling the automated tissue sampling platform.
- Take ownership of KPIs and QC checkpoints to ensure expected quality and drive continual process improvement.
- Collaborate with development teams to transfer new assays and technologies to the automated production pipeline.
- An expert at managing, building and improving automated workflows for biological tissue sampling pipelines or similar processes.
- Demonstrated success operating and troubleshooting automated robotics platforms including fluorescence activated sorters.
- Deep understanding of biological material handling in plant or mammalian cell culture systems.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise with strong capabilities to manage a growing team of both direct and indirect reports.
- Leads by example and willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and enable success across functional teams. Able to identify and manage external vendor relationships.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Process-oriented mindset with track record of metrics-driven successes. An organizational and data tracking expert.
- Prior experience working with Quality Management Systems and/or LIMS is desired.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends during peak periods.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD2143.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.