Current Job Openings
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Pathology, Plant Science or Horticulture
Job Code: PD2121
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Research Associate to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
The ideal candidate will have a B.Sc./M.Sc. degree in Plant Pathology, Plant Science, Horticulture, or related field and a minimum of 1-2 years' experience working in a research and development environment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Primary responsibilities include conducting disease tolerance and screening assays on various crop species from the laboratory research environment to growth-chamber/greenhouse research environment.
- Implement assay strategies for disease trait efficacy evaluations.
- Manage pathogen culture in the lab including inoculum preparation and application, disease rating and troubleshooting disease efficacy assays.
- Perform all duties associated with the culture of a high-quality crop. These duties may include disease and insect control, establishing and monitoring plant growth environments, planting, transplanting, watering, and seed processing.
- Coordinate with research staff on project timelines to accomplish required project goals.
- Troubleshoot existing processes and protocols to improve disease assays and other relevant trait of interest.
- Manage process controls and quality results of assays and improve test efficiency metrics.
- Assist in managing the operational requirements of greenhouse and growth room facilities and equipment for effective and efficient functioning of all programs, including space planning and maintenance of the greenhouse supply inventory.
- Participate in the running of greenhouse activities with other staff members.
- Knowledge various data analysis package is a plus.
Knowledge, Experience, Skills:
- Experience with pathogen assay and handling plant pathogen culture.
- Knowledge and understanding plant pathology, molecular biology.
- Familiarity with disease rating under various growth environments.
- Familiarity with genotyping using PCR based marker tools.
- Knowledge and understanding of Integrated Pest Management principles and practices, plant propagation and culture methods, and soil and growth media preparation is required.
- Familiarity with fertilizers and pesticides, greenhouse and growth chamber lighting and control systems, and field crop species.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of plant pathology and molecular biology.
- Able to use judgment and make recommendations for resolving problems in assignments.
- Highly proficient in Excel and MS Office suite. MS Access or other database experience a plus.
- Manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Strong foundation in following SOPs. Able to develop SOPs and perform troubleshooting on procedures.
- Ability to adapt to changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Ability to work under greenhouse conditions, including: lifting, bending and tolerating high temperatures for brief periods is required.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work in high temperature and humidity conditions periodically throughout the summer months.
- Willing to obtain a pesticide applicator's license.
- Willing to occasionally monitor plants and experiments during the weekend on a rotating schedule or as needed.
- Willing to travel to offsite greenhouse and field station locations in San Diego area to conduct business and project needs.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD2121.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.