Current Job Openings
Greenhouse Horticulture and Operations Specialist
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Horticulture, Plant Science, Agronomy, Biology
Job Code: PD2104
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reduce waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Greenhouse Horticulture and Operations Specialist to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature's own genetic diversity.
The ideal candidate will have a B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree in Horticulture, Plant Science, Agronomy, Biology, or related field and a minimum of 5 years experience working in a research and/or production greenhouse environment. This position reports directly to the Greenhouse Operations Manager.
- Coordinate controlled environment (greenhouse and growth chamber) Integrated Pest Management program (IPM) for research and production projects on row crop species, including scouting, monitoring, identifying, and applying appropriate control options to address plant health concerns.
- Develop IPM strategy and plan, including coordinating with greenhouse users and project staff on execution and implementation of IPM control strategies.
- Select and apply control options for insects, disease, and weeds, using multiple IPM tools such as chemical treatments (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides), beneficial insects, and other sanitation measures.
- Track and maintain records and documentation evaluating effectiveness of control measures. Maintain inventories and documentation of protocols consistent with local, state, and federal Worker Protection Standards (WPS).
- Assist in providing cultural needs to project staff regarding plant maintenance and care of research and production projects with row crop species, including propagation of seeds and plant cuttings, transplanting, pruning, trimming, and harvesting.
- Assist in the implementation of plant production cycles and other greenhouse operation support needs as required by the Operations Manager.
- Assist in the cleaning and organization of shared greenhouse and growth chamber spaces. Duties may include tidying and sanitizing greenhouse and growth chamber work areas, re-stocking supply inventories, and turning over greenhouse and growth chambers between project cycles.
- Assist in the hiring and supervision of greenhouse support staff. Provide leadership to seasonal and temporary support staff, including communicating instructions, feedback, plans, and troubleshooting guidance.
- Participate in the improvement of greenhouse infrastructure or processes as needed.
Knowledge, experience, skills:
- Experience working with field row crops in a controlled environment facility (greenhouse or growth chamber) is required.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated expertise in the following areas: IPM, plant propagation and culture methods, plant nutrients, soil and growth media, and irrigation methods.
- Applicants must demonstrate aptitude in performing job function essentials as outlined above.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with internal stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Able to use judgment and make routine recommendations for resolving problems in moderately complex assignments.
- Highly proficient in Excel and MS Office suite.
- Manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Strong foundation in following SOPs. Able to develop and review SOPs and perform troubleshooting on procedures.
- Ability to adapt to changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Coaching and supervisory responsibilities will include supervision of temporary and full-time support staff.
- Ability to work under greenhouse conditions and standing for long periods of time, including lifting, bending and tolerating high temperatures.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs with or without accommodation.
- Must be able and willing to apply chemical applications when needed as well as obtain and maintain a pesticide applicator’s license.
- Willing to monitor plants and experiments during the weekend on a rotating schedule or as needed.
- Willing to travel to offsite greenhouse and field station locations in San Diego area to conduct business and project needs.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD2104.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.