Current Job Openings
Field Research Trial Specialist
Location: Various – Saskatchewan, Canada
Position Type: Full-Time, Canada
Job Code: PD1902
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax, and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus, a leading Agricultural Biotechnology company in San Diego CA, has an immediate opening for a Field Research Trial Specialist in Product Development ideally located near Yorkton, SK. This position is tasked with managing a testing program primarily in canola but in the future expanding to other crops important to Western Canada.
The ideal candidate will have a B.Sc. or relevant years of experience in one of the agricultural sciences such as Agronomy, Plant Science, Plant Breeding & Genetics, or related. Prior industry experience in canola breeding or research, including knowledge of small plot field testing, is required.
- Establish and manage all resources necessary to successfully conduct field trials, including staffing, equipment procurement and maintenance, inventory management and field site selection.
- Establish canola yield and trait evaluation trial sites at various locations across the Canadian prairies.
- Manage and execute all activities to deliver high quality data for both yield and trait evaluation trials for statistical analysis and selection.
- Manage field locations from pre-seeding to post-harvest activities, including site selection, preparation, pest & stress diagnosis and management, and pollination and isolation management as it relates to canola agronomy and breeding.
- Conduct trials in a way to support all Quality Management Systems and Environmental, Health and Safety policies.
- Assist with site development, management and evaluation of disease nursery trials.
- Monitor and evaluate other research trials associated with breeding program and run through third party cooperators.
- Establish and maintain industry presence and ensure that Cibus is up to date on current industry activities by participating in meetings and establishing contacts with external parties.
- Supervise assigned full time and/or contract employees.
- B.Sc. Degree or relevant years of experience in Agronomy, Plant Science, Plant Breeding and Genetics, or a related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Experience and familiarity with research equipment procurement and maintenance.
- Experience with field testing site selection to enable establishment of successful, uniform plots which meet plant breeding and trait screening objectives.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and experimental design principles.
- Experience with Agrobase relational database a plus.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Competent in troubleshooting farm and small plot research equipment and resources.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a larger team.
- Demonstrated ability to educate and supervise temporary employees for successful trialing program.
- Familiarity with basic genetics or breeding concepts, canola botany, canola pollen flow, and canola genetic purity.
- Strong foundation in following SOPs. Able to develop SOPs and perform troubleshooting on procedures.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as required.
- Ability to work outside under various weather & field conditions, as well as, tolerate dust and canola pollen.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license and driver’s abstract required.
- Experience loading and towing small plot equipment.
- Ability to travel to Northern U.S.
- Ability to adapt to changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Position will require significant travel to sites throughout western Canada for the purposes of planting and maintaining Cibus internal trials, along with visiting and note-taking at cooperator trials throughout Western Canada and the Northern U.S.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work in high temperature and humidity conditions periodically throughout the summer months.
- Willing to obtain a pesticide applicator’s license.
- Position will require international and domestic travel.
Cibus offers competitive compensation and benefits, ongoing on-the-job training, and opportunity to expand knowledge in multiple arenas. A vehicle and mobile phone will be provided.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD1902.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.