Current Job Openings
Temporary Contract – Product Development/Greenhouse Operations
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time, Temporary Contract
Job Code: PD1836
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a temporary, full-time Contract position in the Product Development group. This position will be involved in supporting the production systems team in day-to-day operations of the greenhouse and growth room facilities, as well as interacting with Product Development and greenhouse staff on trait development projects. The initial term of this contract is for 6 months, with options to extend based on performance.
The ideal candidate will have an AA or BS degree and 0-3 years of experience working in a production or research greenhouse environment and have strong horticultural skills/knowledge. HS diploma and 3+ years of experience in these areas will be considered. Applicants with strong problem-solving skills, quality workmanship, high attention to detail, and construction and engineering skills are encouraged to apply.
- Perform routine duties associated with design, installation, and maintenance of greenhouse and growth lab production systems and the crops they sustain. These duties include: irrigation system installation/maintenance, hydroponic system installation/maintenance, pollination tent construction/maintenance, machinery maintenance/troubleshooting, scouting for insects and diseases, and when necessary planting/transplanting/ harvesting/seed packaging.
- Participate in the improvement of greenhouse infrastructure, systems, and processes.
- Monitor performance specifications of production systems.
- Collect, organize, and input relevant data in a greenhouse and growth chamber laboratory environment to support projects.
- Report to offsite grow facilities in San Diego county for routine monitoring and maintenance activities.
Knowledge, Experience, Skills:
- Previous experience working in a greenhouse production/construction/engineering capacity.
- Knowledge of greenhouse lighting, irrigation systems, hydroponic systems, crop fertilization, pest control, and greenhouse environmental control systems is required.
- Experience working with power tools and following required safety procedures.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Good work ethic, time management and organizational skills, accurate record keeping, attention to detail.
- Good analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Able to follow Standard Operating Procedures.
- Able to work under greenhouse and field conditions, including lifting, bending, tolerating high temperatures, high humidity, exposure to allergens and dusty environments.
- Able to lift 20-50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Willing to travel to field sites and secondary greenhouse locations in San Diego County.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD1836.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.