Current Job Openings
Temporary Contract – Product Development/Greenhouse Production
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time, Temporary Contract
Job Code: PD1835
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a temporary, full-time contract position in the Product Development group. This position will be involved in supporting greenhouse seed production projects. The full term of this contract is for 6 months.
The ideal candidate will have an AA or BS degree in Agronomy, Horticulture Science, Plant Pathology, Plant Breeding or other relevant scientific discipline and 0-3 years of experience working in a production or research greenhouse environment. HS diploma and 3+ years of experience in these areas will be considered.
- Perform routine duties associated with the culture of a high-quality crop. These duties include planting, transplanting, thinning, weeding, irrigating, sampling, scouting for insects and diseases, pollinating, harvesting, drying, seed processing and packaging, data input, and machinery maintenance.
- Assist with daily tasks related to greenhouse nursery seed production.
- Participate in the organization, inventorying and repacking of seed to ensure long-term viability.
- Collect relevant data in field, greenhouse or laboratory environment to support breeding projects.
- Report to offsite grow facilities in San Diego county for routine monitoring and maintenance activities.
Knowledge, Experience, Skills:
- Previous field agronomy or greenhouse experience with row crop-specific culture protocols preferred.
- Familiarity with irrigation systems, fertilization, pest control, and field or greenhouse nursery production is desired.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Good work ethic, time management and organizational skills, accurate record keeping, attention to detail.
- Good analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Able to follow Standard Operating Procedures.
- Able to work under greenhouse and field conditions, including lifting, bending, tolerating high temperatures, high humidity, exposure to allergens and dusty environments.
- Able to lift 20-50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Willing to travel to field sites and secondary greenhouse locations in San Diego County.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD1835.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.