Current Job Openings
Agronomy and Seed Quality Associate/Sr. Agronomy and Seed Quality Associate - Product Development
Location: San Diego, California 92121
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular
Job Code: PD1807
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant's natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola(tm), and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus' technologies is highlighted by the company's strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets. More information can be found at cibus.com.
The focus of this position is to ensure that products developed by our Product Development and Breeding team using Cibus' proprietary technology (RTDS™) meet product quality assurance standards during the product development and pre-commercial process.
The ideal candidate will have a B.Sc. degree in Plant Science, Plant breeding/genetics, Agronomy, or related. Prior industry experience including knowledge of seed and/or trait product development is a plus. Prior experience with quality management protocols associated with seed business objectives is also desired.
- Carry out quality assurance protocols with emphasis on seed and trait quality preservation, purity, and final product appearance.
- Collect, organize, and report quality assurance data on potential seed and trait products in Pre-Commercial development pipeline.
- Collaborate with production, breeding, and commercial teams to ensure stewardship in sampling, seed increase, seed storage, inventorying, packaging, and shipping.
- Improve standardization relevant to achieving high quality standards related to seed and trait products.
- Perform all duties associated with the culture of a high-quality crop in a greenhouse or field environment. These duties may include: planting, transplanting, watering, insect and disease control, seed processing, and establishing and monitoring plant growth environments.
- Work with internal and external molecular testing labs to generate data on seed products relevant to quality assurance and quality control protocols.
- Support field trial database management, seed inventory management and grain sample quality processing.
Knowledge, Experience, Skills:
- Experience evaluating trait phenotypes as a part of an agricultural product development pipeline.
- Familiarity with genotyping and marker methods used in product quality assessments.
- Ability to apply organizational skills to drive standardization and efficiency across Product and Pre-Commercial development processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of Integrated Pest Management principles and practices, plant propagation and culture methods, and soil and growth media preparation is a plus.
- Prior experience with relational database software is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and experimental design principles.
- Able to use judgment and make recommendations for resolving problems in assignments.
- Highly proficient in Excel and MS Office suite.
- Strong foundation in following SOPs. Able to develop SOPs and perform troubleshooting on procedures.
- Ability to adapt to changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Ability to work under greenhouse and/or field conditions, including: lifting, bending and tolerating high temperatures for brief periods is required.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work in high temperature and humidity conditions periodically throughout the summer months.
- Willing to obtain a pesticide applicator's license.
- Willing to monitor plants and experiments during the weekend on a rotating schedule or as needed.
- Willing to travel to offsite greenhouse and field station locations in San Diego area to conduct business and project needs.
- Position may require periodic international and/or domestic travel.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD1807.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.