If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Data Analyst – Senior Associate or Specialist
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: NGS, Data Analysis, Genotyping
Job Code: MB2215
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Data Analyst to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented gene editing technology. This position will provide data analysis support for NGS genotyping and other proprietary processes across Cibus’ Trait Machine gene editing pipeline. The successful applicant will have strong experience running and troubleshooting NGS genotyping analysis workflows, mining data sets to identify bottlenecks and establish KPIs, and be capable of driving success in a highly matrixed work environment. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to influence and grow in a dynamic environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Run and trouble shoot routine analysis workflows for high-throughput genotyping with NGS targeted amplicon sequencing.
- Run and trouble shoot scripts for post NGS run data processing and QC including validation, filtering, and follow-up steps.
- Collaborate with colleagues to help build new analysis packages and develop LIMS workflows.
- Participate actively in new platform evaluations, create new analysis workflows, and assist the molecular screening team in onboarding new NGS platforms. Organize and track NGS and other platform performance metrics. Analyze data to help identify process gaps, establish KPIs, and improve process efficiency.
- Provide subject matter expertise across functional teams.
- B.S. degree in a Biological Science or Computer Science with 5+ years of experience or M.S. with 2+ years of experience Specialist level. B.S. degree with 2-5 years’ experience or M.S. with 0-2 years of experience for Senior Associate level.
- Strong understanding of NGS workflows and hands on expertise with analysis software such as CLC Genomics Workbench and/or custom packages.
- Solid working knowledge of programming languages such as Python, Ruby, or Perl. Experience working with virtual machines and Linux environments is beneficial.
- Strong Excel skills. Experience with R and/or other statistical packages is beneficial.
- Prior experience working with Quality Management Systems and/or LIMS.
- Understands basic genetic principals and able to help translate data results to biological significance. Potential to become a subject matter expert.
- Process-oriented mind-set with demonstrated ability to improve workflow efficiency.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2215.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.