If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Senior Scientist – Plant Disease Tolerance Trait Discovery
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: Ph.D.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Pathology, Trait Discovery, Molecular Biology, Gene Editing
Job Code: MB2179
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Senior Scientist – Plant Disease Tolerance Trait Discovery to help us to revolutionize plant breeding. This position will lead and execute in the lab efforts to discover next generation gene editing targets that will improve plant health and fitness by increasing resistance to disease and pests. The successful applicant will be a strong laboratory scientist with broad knowledge of plant disease and pathology, experience developing gene edited traits, and capabilities to lead discovery efforts across multiple traits. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to lead, influence, and grow in a dynamic environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Develop strategy and project plans for gene edited traits that will improve plant resistance to disease and pests in agriculture crops.
- Lead and execute laboratory experiments to identify new candidate gene editing targets.
- Collaborate with Computational Biology to uncover new target opportunities. Integrate with Technology Development and Crop teams to transfer editing targets into the trait production pipeline. Work with Pathology teams to validate trait performance.
- Provide subject matter and scientific expertise across functional teams.
- Supervise junior team members and help to grow a rapidly expanding team.
- Ph.D. in a Plant Pathology or a Biological Science with 5+ years of experience. Post-doctoral work may serve as experience.
- Demonstrated research success and broad knowledge in plant disease and pathology, including experience with multiple pathogens and/or pests in agriculture crops.
- A Molecular Biology and Plant Biotechnology expert with capabilities to leverage computational resources.
- Strong understanding of gene editing technologies and capabilities to translate research discoveries to developing gene edited traits in agricultural important crops.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Leads by example, using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration. Demonstrated ability to positively influence others with strong capabilities to supervise and grow a team of junior scientists.
- A strong collaborator capable of driving success in a highly matrixed work environment.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2179.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.