If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Scientist – Molecular Biology Trait Discovery
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: Ph.D.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Molecular Biology and Genetics, Functional Complementation, Plant Biology
Job Code: MB2178
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Scientist – Molecular Biology Trait Discovery to help us to revolutionize plant breeding. This position will build functional complementation and high-throughput screening assays to discover next generation gene editing targets that will improve plant health and fitness. The successful applicant will be a strong laboratory scientist with deep knowledge of molecular biology and genetics, experience developing functional complementation in bacteria, yeast, plants, and/or other organisms, and capabilities to collaborate across multiple projects and functional teams. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to influence and grow in a dynamic environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Develop strategy and build microbial functional complementation assays for plant trait discovery.
- Execute laboratory experiments and functional screening assays to identify new candidate gene editing targets.
- Collaborate with Computational and Protein Biology teams to characterize and validate the physical and enzymatic properties of screening hits.
- Integrate with Technology Development and Crop teams to transfer editing targets into the trait production pipeline.
- Provide subject matter and scientific expertise across functional teams.
- Positively influence and supervise junior team members.
- Ph.D. in a Biological Science with 2+ years of experience. Post-doctoral work may serve as experience.
- Demonstrated expertise building functional complementation and phenotypic selection assays in model bacteria, yeast, plant, and/or other systems. Capable of working with Computational and Protein Biologist to validate functional screening hits.
- Broad technical expertise with Molecular Biology, Genetics, and Biotechnology. Ability to leverage computational resources and utilize multiple model systems is highly desired.
- Strong understanding of gene editing technologies and capabilities to translate research discoveries to developing gene edited traits in agricultural important crops.
- A strong collaborator capable of driving success in a highly matrixed work environment.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Leads by example, using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration. Demonstrated ability to positively influence others with capabilities to supervise junior team members.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2178.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.