If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Research Associate – Trait Machine Production (Cell Biology)
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S./B.A. or equivalent
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Cell Biology, Plant Tissue Culture, Shoot Regeneration and Multiplication Systems
Job Code: MB2162
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Research Associate – Trait Machine Production to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
- Participate in the day-to-day responsibilities for the generation of plants from cell/tissue cultures in the cell biology trait production pipeline, including in vitro germination and micropropagation, microspore culture for generation of haploid plants, protoplast isolation and culture, shoot regeneration, tissue sampling for molecular screening and QC, propagation and delivery of selected plants from the lab to product development.
- Maintain lab notebooks and electronic files up to date and implement laboratory information managing systems and participate in the development of databases.
- Provide training and coaching to new hires.
- Follow SOPs, help troubleshooting and implement robust quality controls to ensure minimal production loss and maintain efficient processes.
- The candidate must have good theoretical and working knowledge of cell biology, preferably plant cell biology.
- Experience with in vitro cell/tissue culture methods, shoot regeneration through somatic embryogenesis and organogenesis.
- Capable of troubleshooting tissue culture related procedures, with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Expertise with cell culture media preparation workflows.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate within and across functional teams.
- Good oral and written communication skills for the preparation of technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology production environment is highly desired.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2162.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.