If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Scientist or Senior Scientist – NGS Assay Development
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: Ph.D. or B.S./M.S. with experience
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: NGS, Assay Development, Data Analysis, Genotyping
Job Code: MB2156
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Scientist or Senior Scientist – NGS Assay Development to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology. This position will design, build and validate high-throughput NGS genotyping assays for molecular screening of gene edited plant materials across Cibus’ Trait Machine pipeline. The successful applicant will be an expert at developing NGS target amplicon resequencing assays, have experience implementing automated high-throughput assays, and strong capabilities to collaborate with Computational Biologist to help develop analysis workflows. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to influence and grow in a dynamic environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Design, build, and validate NGS targeted amplicon resequencing assays for screening gene edited plant materials.
- Work closely with colleagues to transfer assays to an automated high-throughput format and establish KPIs to track and improve assay performance.
- Integrate with the Computational Biology team to help build and trouble shoot analysis packages and LIMS workflows.
- Identify and explore new technology and workflow opportunities to drive continuous platform improvement.
- Provide subject matter and scientific expertise across functional teams.
- Positively influence and supervise junior team members.
- For Senior Scientist level a Ph.D. in a Biological, Computer, or Engineering Science with 5+ years of experience or M.S. with 10+ years of experience or B.S. degree with 12+ years of experience. Scientist level is Ph.D. with 1-2 years of experience or M.S. with 7+ years of experience or B.S. degree with 10+ years of experience.
- Demonstrated expertise designing, building and validating multiplex NGS target amplicon resequencing assays. Prior experience leveraging automation to increase assay throughput and performance is desired.
- Hands on experience with analysis software such as CLC Genomics Workbench and/or custom packages. Strong capabilities to collaborate with Computational Biologists to develop and trouble shoot analysis workflows.
- Broad understanding of NGS technologies and workflows. Demonstrated ability to assess and implement new technologies.
- Prior experience working with Quality Management Systems and/or LIMS is desired.
- Process-oriented mind-set with demonstrated ability to improve workflow efficiency.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Leads by example, using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration. Demonstrated ability to positively influence others with strong capabilities to supervise junior scientists.
- A strong collaborator capable of driving success in a highly matrixed work environment.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2156.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.