If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Associate Director – Trait Discovery
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: Ph.D.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Pathology, Trait Discovery, Molecular Biology, Gene Editing
Job Code: MB2154
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for an Associate Director – Trait Discovery who will help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology. This position will lead Cibus’ efforts to discover next generation gene editing targets that will improve crop health and fitness by increasing resistance to disease and pests. The successful applicant will have broad understanding of plant disease and pathology in agriculturally important crops, a strong record of team leadership, and capabilities to rapidly expand discovery efforts across multiple crops and traits. This position offers an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to grow and influence at all levels of a dynamic company focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Lead and grow a multidisciplinary discovery team responsible for identifying new gene editing targets to improve crop resistance to disease and pests.
- Define and implement short and long-term objectives to expand discovery efforts into new disease traits across multiple crop platforms.
- Collaborate with Computational Biology to uncover new target opportunities. Integrate with Technology Development and Crop teams to transfer editing targets into the trait production pipeline. Work with Product Development and Pathology teams to validate traits.
- Provide leadership, training and coaching of direct and indirect reports. Enable career development growth by ensuring alignment of individual, team, and company objectives.
- Be the voice of trait discovery and plant disease across the company and at all levels of management.
- Identify and manage external interactions with service providers and collaborators.
- Represent Cibus at academic and professional conferences.
- Ph.D. degree in Plant Pathology or a Biological Science with 12+ years of experience working in an agricultural trait discovery or similar environment, or M.S. with 15+ years of experience or B.S. with 20+ years of experience.
- Deep and broad understanding of plant disease resistance in agriculture crops. Experience with a range of pathogens and pests including bacteria, fungi, viruses and/or insects.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee all aspects of trait discovery from idea inception to trait validation.
- Strong understanding of Plant Biotechnology, Gene Editing, and Molecular Biology. Demonstrated ability to leverage computational approaches for trait discovery.
- A strong collaborator who can work across diverse teams to drive projects to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams of direct and indirect reports to achieve both technical and professional growth success. A skilled motivator, capable of influencing at all levels of an organization.
- Leads by example and has a strong sense of accountability. Willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Is driven to empower others to succeed. Prioritizes team and company achievement as the path to individual success.
- Broad scientific capabilities. Capable of achieving success and influencing across diverse functional areas.
- Strong proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction. Able to represent Cibus at a range of public forms.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2154.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.