If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Group Leader – High-throughput Genotyping
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: Ph.D.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Genotyping, Molecular Diagnostics, NGS, Automation
Job Code: MB2141
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Group Leader – High-throughput Genotyping to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology. This position will oversee molecular genotyping activities across the entire gene editing pipeline and play a central role in driving R&D success. The successful applicant will have deep knowledge of genotyping and NGS technologies, experience in automated high-throughput environments, broad scientific capabilities, and a strong record of team leadership. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to grow and influence at all levels of a dynamic company focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Lead a multidisciplinary team of 12-15 responsible for fulfilling genotyping requests of gene edited plant materials across the R&D pipeline. Take ownership of the genotyping process from sample submission to data reporting to ensure day to day genotyping needs of the company are met.
- Define and implement short and long-term objectives for platform performance and growth. Ensure resources, technologies, and QC standards are in place to build and execute scalable molecular genotyping workflows.
- Oversee production and platform development activities. Drive continuous improvement by identifying process gaps, new technologies, and other advancement opportunities. Coordinate transfer of new technologies and workflows into the production pipeline.
- Collaborate with computational biologists to build and integrate data analysis and LIMS workflows into the genotyping pipeline.
- Integrate with cross-functional project teams to assess genotyping needs, determine scientific direction, and ensure milestone achievement.
- Provide leadership, training and coaching of direct and indirect reports. Enable career development growth by ensuring alignment of individual, team, and company objectives.
- Be the voice of the molecular genotyping team across the company and at all levels of management.
- Identify and manage external interactions with service providers and collaborators.
- Ph.D. degree in a Biological Science or Engineering with 8+ years of experience working in a high-throughput genotyping or similar environment, or M.S. with 12+ years of experience or B.S. with 15+ years of experience.
- Deep understanding of molecular genotyping and diagnostic technologies such qPCR, dPCR, NGS amplicon resequencing, and hybridization capture. Can oversee all aspects of assay development from design to validation.
- Strong capabilities to oversee automated, high-throughput workflows and to leverage automation to improve efficiency and quality.
- Process-oriented mindset with strong organizational skills. Prior experience working with Quality Management Systems and LIMS in a biotech, biomanufacturing, or similar production environment is highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams of direct and indirect reports to achieve both technical and professional growth success. A skilled motivator, capable of influencing at all levels of an organization.
- Leads by example and has a strong sense of accountability. Willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Is driven to empower others to succeed. Prioritizes team and company achievement as the path to individual success.
- A track record of success in dynamic, fast paced environments. Demonstrated ability to balance competing demands and broadly advocate for teams and individuals.
- Broad scientific capabilities. Capable of achieving success across diverse functional areas.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and manage external interactions.
- Strong proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2141.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.