If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Manager – High-throughput Genotyping
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: Ph.D. or B.S. / M.S. with experience
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Automation, Genotyping, Molecular Diagnostics, NGS
Job Code: MB2140
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Manager – High-throughput Genotyping to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology. This position will manage Cibus’ automated platform for molecular genotyping of gene edited plant materials across the R&D pipeline. The successful applicant will be an expert at managing, developing, and scaling automated workflows for molecular genotyping or similar processes and have strong capabilities to lead a growing team. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to grow and influence at all levels of a dynamic company focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Oversee a team of 4-8 and participate in the day to day responsibilities of the molecular genotyping team, including operation and troubleshooting of PCR and NGS based workflows running on Hamilton Star automated liquid handlers. Coordinate team scheduling, logistics, and processing of genotyping requests.
- Integrate with cross-functional teams to manage genotyping requests, handoffs, and forecast workload expectations. Manage the supply chain and build out shifts to meet increasing production needs.
- Be a subject matter expert to help define and implement team objectives to improve and scale the automated molecular genotyping platform.
- Take ownership of KPIs and QC checkpoints to ensure expected quality and drive continual process improvement.
- Collaborate with development teams to transfer new assays and technologies to the automated production pipeline.
- Ph.D. degree in a Biological Science or Engineering with 1-2 years of experience working in an automated high-throughput genotyping, molecular diagnostic, or similar environment or M.S. with 7+ years of experience or B.S. with 10+ years of experience.
- An expert at managing, building and improving automated workflows for molecular genotyping or similar processes. Demonstrated success writing and troubleshooting scripts for automated liquid handlers and/or similar machines.
- Deep understanding of PCR based molecular diagnostic protocols such as qPCR and NGS amplicon resequencing.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise with strong capabilities to manage a growing team of both direct and indirect reports.
- Leads by example and willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and enable success across functional teams. Able to identify and manage external vendor relationships.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Process-oriented mindset with track record of metrics-driven successes. An organizational and data tracking expert.
- Prior experience working with Quality Management Systems and/or LIMS is desired.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends during peak periods.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2140.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.