If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Senior Production Associate – High-Throughput Genotyping
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Automation, Genotyping, Molecular Diagnostics
Job Code: MB2139
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Senior Production Associate – High-Throughput Genotyping to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTD™ gene editing technology. This position will play a key role on the afternoon to evening shift for automated molecular genotyping of gene edited plant materials across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. The successful applicant will bring a strong background in operating and troubleshooting automated liquid handling systems, experience with molecular genotyping workflows, and capabilities to supervise junior team members. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to grow and influence in a dynamic R&D environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Operate and trouble shoot all aspects of Hamilton Star automated liquid handlers running DNA extraction and PCR based molecular genotyping workflows.
- Supervise 1-2 junior operators.
- Help coordinate pipeline materials and tasks across shifts and functional teams.
- Perform quality assurance and quality control checks.
- Identify process gaps and help implement new ideas to improve process efficiency.
- B.S. degree in a Biological Science or Engineering with 2-5 years of experience or M.S. with 0-2 years of experience.
- Strong experience operating automated liquid handlers such as Hamilton Star. Demonstrated ability to independently overcome routine automation challenges to ensure pipeline up time.
- Experience building scripts for automated liquid handlers is desirable.
- Solid understanding of PCR based molecular diagnostic protocols such as qPCR and NGS amplicon resequencing.
- Prior experience working with Quality Management Systems and/or LIMS is desirable.
- Process-oriented mind-set with demonstrated ability to improve workflow efficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence others and capabilities to supervise junior team members.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule including afternoon to evening and weekend shifts.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2139.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.