If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S. with experience
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Plant Biology
Job Code: MB2137
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Research Specialist-Molecular Discovery position to help us to revolutionize plant breeding. The position requires a M.S. degree in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, Plant Biology, Biochemistry or related field with a minimum of 2 years of experience working in a research environment or a BA/BS degree with 5 years of experience working in a research environment.
The Research Specialist-Molecular Discovery will play a key role in helping to discovery next generation targets for Cibus’ gene editing pipeline. The successful candidate will bring a strong background in Molecular Biology and functional assays such as transient gene expression, and work as part of a team developing new traits to control plant diseases in agriculturally important crops. Key responsibilities of the position include independent design and build of DNA constructs and other molecular tools, running functional assays in cell and plant systems, and helping to develop new target discovery strategies. There will be opportunities to mentor and/or supervise junior scientists, communicate project updates throughout the company, and to interact across multiple functional areas including plant pathology and gene editing teams. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to learn and grown in a fast-paced environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Deep understanding and practical experience with a range of Molecular Biology technologies including cloning PCR, qPCR and other DNA/RNA manipulations.
- Practical experience with functional assays in cell and/or plant systems.
- Demonstrated ability to overcome technical challenges with creative solutions
- Strong understanding of scientific principals and ability to independently exercise technical discretion with experimental design, execution, and interpretation.
- Demonstrates leadership in the laboratory by proactively contributing innovate ideas and executing scientific investigations with precision and sharp attention to detail.
- Able to independently manage one or more short term projects while meeting deadlines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including preparation of technical reports, SOPs, and presenting scientific progress.
- Capable of influencing and motivating others, including effective mentoring of junior researchers.
- An independent problem solver with strong organizational skills.
- Has a strong sense of accountability and team driven success. Able to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and fast-pasted R&D environment.
- Ability to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2137.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.