Current Job Openings
Research Specialist – Molecular Discovery
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S. with experience
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Plant Biology and Plant Pathology
Job Code: MB2125
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Research Specialist-Molecular Discovery position to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
The Research Specialist-Molecular Discovery will help to develop new gene editing targets to control plant diseases in agriculturally important crops. The successful applicant will bring a strong background in a variety of Molecular Biology related technologies along with a good understanding of and long-term interest in plant biology and plant pathology. This position will report to the Senior Research Scientist leading Cibus' Plant Disease Molecular Discovery efforts and work with a team of researchers who use a range of molecular, cellular, and biochemical technologies in plants and other model systems to identify new targets for Cibus’ gene editing pipeline. The primary responsibility of the Research Specialist - Plant Molecular Discovery will be to independently build molecular tools and reagents that will be used to screen candidate target genes in functional assay screens such as transient gene expression and enzymatic assays. There will also be an opportunity to supervise junior scientists, communicate project updates throughout the company, and to interact across multiple functional areas including plant pathology and crop gene editing teams.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to learn and grown in a matrixed environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- M.S. degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Plant Biology, Biochemistry or related field with a minimum of 2+ years of experience working in a research environment or a BA/BS degree with 5+ years of experience.
- Deep understanding and practical experience with a range of technologies related to Molecular Biology, Protein Interaction and Biochemistry such as cloning and other DNA/RNA manipulations, PCR, qPCR, western blotting, protein purifications, and/or enzyme assays.
- Demonstrated success using functional assays in plants or other model systems.
- An understanding of and long-term interest plant biology and plant pathology.
- Exercises technical discretion with experimental design, execution, and interpretation.
- Demonstrates leadership in the laboratory by proactively contributing innovate ideas and executing scientific investigations with precision and sharp attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence others with strong capabilities to supervise junior team members.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including preparation of technical reports, SOPs, and presenting scientific progress.
- An independent problem solver with strong organizational skills.
- Has a strong sense of accountability and team driven success. Able to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and fast-pasted R&D environment.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2125.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.