Current Job Openings
Group Leader – Trait Machine Production (Cell Biology)
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: Ph.D. or equivalent
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Cell Biology, Gene Editing, Automation, Quality Systems Management
Job Code: MB2122
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Group Leader – Trait Machine Production (Cell Biology). This position will be a part of a team focused on scaling our gene edited trait production pipeline. The position requires a Ph.D. degree or equivalent in Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Plant Biology, or related field with a minimum of 8+ years of experience working in a research and/or development environment; post-doctoral work may serve as experience. Alternatively, a BA/BS degree with 15+ years of experience or a MA/MS degree with 12+ years of experience is required.
The successful applicant will oversee Cibus’ Trait Machine Production operations and development of an automated cell culture platform supporting its patented RTDS gene editing technologies. This position will play a central role in building and implementing a vision of an automated and scalable gene editing production platform by overseeing a multi-disciplinary team focused on the generation, identification, and advancement of gene editing candidates through the cell biology production pipeline.
- Oversee teams and participate in the day to day responsibilities of the cell biology trait production pipeline and cell culture automation platform, including media prep, production run planning, scheduling, logistics, handoffs, and processing of biological materials being advanced in the gene editing pipeline.
- Define and implement team objectives for the development and execution of automated, scalable workflows for cell biology process.
- Build out second shift focused on gene editing production to complement existing pipeline throughput capabilities.
- Provide leadership, training and coaching of direct and indirect reports within the organizational structure.
- Assume primary responsibility for achieving KPIs critical to success of gene editing production projects across managed workflows.
- Implement robust quality controls to ensure minimal production loss and maintain efficient processes.
- Identify ways to improve process efficiency and collaborate with development teams to transfer new technologies to the production pipeline
- Enable success of up- and down- stream activities in gene editing production system through cross-functional, matrixed collaboration.
- Manage external interactions with service providers and development collaborators focused on innovating existing automation platforms.
- Collaborate across department on the development of high-throughput biological processes and integrate with other functional teams to assess project needs, determine systems development direction, and ensure milestone achievement.
- This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to broadly influence at all levels of the company from project conception to commercial scale production.
- Expertise with a range of plant cell biology processes such as cell line induction, transformation, regeneration, and cell culture media preparation workflows for the purpose of trait development. Comfortable overseeing all aspects of assay development from design to validation.
- Deep theoretical and practical experience with a broad suite of Cell Biology protocols and an understanding of Gene Editing technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a dynamic team to achieve both technical and professional growth success.
- Leads by example and willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Has a strong sense of enablement with a demonstrated ability to achieve success through direct and indirect reporting responsibilities.
- Demonstrated experience building and/or overseeing automated high-throughput workflows. Strong capabilities to leverage automation to improve efficiency and quality.
- Demonstrated track record of innovation and improvement of managed processes.
- Broad scientific capabilities with a demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional teams, providing guidance and direction to achieve success.
- A skilled motivator, capable of influencing at all levels of an organization.
- Prior experience working in a biological production environment and/or with Quality Management Systems such as Six Sigma or Kaizen is desirable.
- Strong proactive communicator, demonstrated success using both oral and written strategies to communicate project proposals, status, and direction.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Strong organizational skills and capable of identifying and managing external interactions such as service providers and other collaborations.
- Capable of achieving success in a dynamic and fast-paced Production and/or R&D environment, is a strong promoter and implementer of change.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is highly desired.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2122.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.