Current Job Openings
Research Specialist – Automation
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Molecular Biology, Molecular Screening, NGS, Gene Editing
Job Code: MB2114
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reduce waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for an Research Specialist – Automation to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature's own genetic diversity. The position requires a B.S. degree in a Biological Science or Engineering with 5+ years of experience or M.S. with 2+ years of experience.
The successful applicant will help to build, implement, and run high-throughput automated molecular screening workflows to screen gene edited materials across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. The Research Specialist – Automation will work as part of a team on the afternoon to evening shift and be expected to independently operate and trouble shoot all aspects of an automated liquid handling system for high-throughput DNA extraction and genotyping. This position will also help to identify process gaps and assess new technologies to drive continuous platform improvement and collaborate across functional teams to help assess project needs and guide scientific direction. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to grow and influence in a dynamic and fast-paced R&D environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- An expert at running and troubleshooting automated liquid handlers such as Hamilton Star.
- Experience building scripts for automated liquid handlers.
- Expertise with a range of PCR based molecular screening protocols such as qPCR and NGS amplicon resequencing.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and improve automated workflows.
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence others.
- Proactive communicator capable of using oral and written strategies to communicate project proposals, status, and direction.
- Ability to work an afternoon to evening shift is essential.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2114.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.