Current Job Openings
Production Supervisor – Automated Cell Culture
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Automation, Process Management, Cell Culture, Engineering
Job Code: MB2113
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reduce waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Production Supervisor – Automated Cell Culture to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology.
The Production Supervisor – Automated Cell Culture will supervise the afternoon to evening production shift for automated sampling and cell culturing of gene edited plant materials across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. By bringing a strong background in bioprocessing and manufacturing practices, the successful applicant will have the opportunity to play a lead role to standardize and scale the gene editing pipeline. Responsibilities include direct oversight of production line processes and personnel; ensuring the flow of biological materials through the gene editing pipeline by coordinating handoffs and scheduling across functional teams; performing quality assurance and quality control checks; overcoming day to day production challenges; identifying opportunities to improve process efficiency and collaborating with development teams to transfer new technologies to the production pipeline. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to grow and influence at all levels of the company.
- B.S. degree in a Biological Science or Engineering with 8+ years of experience or M.S. with 5+ years of experience.
- Strong process-oriented mind-set with demonstrated experience working in a biological production, bioprocessing, and/or contract manufacturing environment.
- Strong understanding of cell culture processes. Prior plant cell culture experience is desired, but not essential. Animal and/or microbe cell culture experience is appropriate.
- Prior experience operating automated cell culture, bioprocessing, and/or bioreactor platforms is beneficial.
- Demonstrated ability to identify process gaps and improve process efficiency.
- An expert at data tracking and organization with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and collaborate across functional teams.
- Strong capabilities to manage complex processes in a highly matrixed environment.
- Prior experience working with Quality Management Systems such as Six Sigma or Kaizen is desirable.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Ability to adjust to shifting priorities and capable of achieving success in a dynamic and fast-paced R&D environment.
- Able to work an afternoon to evening schedule and available to work weekends during peak periods.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2113.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.