Current Job Openings
Research Specialist – Molecular Screening
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Molecular Biology, Molecular Screening, NGS, Gene Editing
Job Code: MB2103
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reduce waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Research Specialist – Molecular Screening to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature's own genetic diversity. The position requires a B.S. degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or a related field with 5+ years of experience or M.S. with 2+ years of experience.
The successful applicant will play a key role in Cibus’ automated high-throughput molecular screening and candidate identification platform supporting its patented RTDS gene editing technologies. This position will help to build and implement high-throughput molecular screening workflows using NGS, qPCR, dPCR, and other technologies that are used to screen gene edited materials across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. Responsibilities of the Research Specialist – Molecular Screening include developing new assays; ensuring assays meet production QC standards; helping to identify process gaps and assess new technologies to drive continuous platform improvement; and collaborating across functional teams to help assess project needs and guide scientific direction. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to grow and influence in a dynamic and fast-paced R&D environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Expertise with all aspects of NGS targeted amplicon resequencing applications from assay design to validation.
- Theoretical understanding and practical experience with a range of NGS, PCR, qPCR, and dPCR based SNP detection technologies.
- Prior experience using automated high-throughput workflows is beneficial.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and improve process efficiency.
- Prior experience working in a biological production environment and/or with Quality Management Systems such as Six Sigma or Kaizen is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence others.
- Proactive communicator capable of using oral and written strategies to communicate project proposals, status, and direction.
- Flexibility to work either a morning to afternoon or afternoon to evening shift is desired.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2103.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.