Current Job Openings
Senior Production Specialist
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Automation, Process Management, Screening, Cell Culture
Job Code: MB2101
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reduce waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Senior Production Specialist to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature's own genetic diversity. The position requires a B.S. degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or a related field with 8+ years of experience or M.S. with 5+ years of experience.
The successful applicant will help to lead Cibus’ automated high-throughput sampling and candidate identification platform supporting its patented RTDS gene editing technologies. This position will play a lead role in supervising the afternoon to evening production shift for automated sampling and cell culturing of biological materials across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. Responsibilities of the Senior Production Specialist include direct supervision of production line personnel and activities; coordinating handoffs and scheduling in a highly matrixed environment; performing quality assurance and quality control checks; overcoming day to day production challenges and identifying opportunities to improve process efficiency; helping to standardize and implement new production workflows; collaborating across functional teams to ensure achievement of production milestones. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to grow and influence at all levels of the company.
- Strong process-oriented mind-set with demonstrated expertise managing biological production platforms.
- Demonstrated expertise running automation platforms such as automated cell culturing and/or liquid handling systems.
- A strong problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify process gaps and improve process efficiency.
- Prior experience working with Quality Management Systems such as Six Sigma or Kaizen is desirable.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to details, and capabilities to manage complex processes across functional teams.
- Leads by example, using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration. Demonstrated ability to supervise and positively influence others.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Ability to adjust to shifting priorities and capable of achieving success in a dynamic and fast-paced R&D environment.
- Able to work an afternoon to evening schedule and available to work weekends and/or overtime during peak periods
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is beneficial, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2101.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.