Current Job Openings
Research Scientist – Molecular Screening
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full Time
Required Education: Ph.D. or equivalent
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Molecular Biology, Molecular Screening, NGS, Gene Editing
Job Code: MB2014
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reduce waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
We have an immediate opening for a Research Scientist – Molecular Screening who can help us to revolutionize plant breeding and trait development using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology platform to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature’s own genetic diversity. The position requires a Ph.D. degree or equivalent relevant experience in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Genetics, Bioinformatics, Plant Biology, or related field. Research Scientist level requires a Ph.D. with minimum of 1-2 years of experience working in a research and/or development environment, or MA/MS degree with 7+ years of experience, or a BA/BS with 10+ years of experience.
The successful applicant will help to lead Cibus’ automated high-throughput molecular screening and candidate identification platform supporting its patented RTDS gene editing technologies. This position will play a lead role in building and implementing automated high-throughput workflows using NGS, qPCR, dPCR, and other technologies to screen biological materials across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. Responsibilities of the Molecular Screening Scientist include leading new assay development, defining and implementing assay production QC standards, helping to define and implement team objectives, identifying process gaps and assessing new opportunities to drive continuous platform improvement. The Molecular Screening Scientist will collaborate across departments on the development of high-throughput biological processes and integrate with other functional teams to help assess project needs, determine scientific direction, and ensure milestone achievement. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to grow and influence at all levels of the company.
- Expertise with a range of molecular screening technologies such as targeted amplicon resequencing, whole genome sequencing (WGS), and other NGS, PCR, and qPCR-based SNP detection and RNA expression workflows. Can oversee all aspects of assay development from design to validation.
- Strong capabilities to leverage automation to improve efficiency and quality, ideally with a demonstrated ability to build automated high-throughput workflows.
- Strong understanding of a range of Molecular Biology and Gene Editing technologies.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Prior experience working in a biological production environment and/or with Quality Management Systems such as Six Sigma or Kaizen is desirable.
- Leads by example, using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration. Demonstrated ability to positively influence others.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project proposals, status, and direction.
- Strong organizational skills and capable of identifying and managing external interactions with service providers and other vendors.
- Capable of achieving success in a dynamic and fast-paced R&D environment, is a strong promoter and implementer of change.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB2014.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.