Current Job Openings
Research Specialist – Molecular Discovery
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: Bachelor’s/Master’s degree
Area(s) of expertise desired: Molecular Biology, Molecular Genetics, Plant Biology
Job Code: MB1914
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax, and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
We have an immediate opening for a Research Specialist – Molecular Discovery who can help us to revolutionize plant breeding and trait development using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology platform to safely harness Nature’s own genetic diversity to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products that help improve human health. The position requires a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Genetics, Plant Biology, or related field and 5 years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree or 2 years of experience with a Master’s degree.
The Research Specialist – Molecular Discovery will work as a key member of Cibus’ Molecular Discovery team to identify next generation RTDS gene editing targets for high value agricultural traits such as helping plants combat disease and environmental stress. The successful applicant will use an array of molecular, cellular, and biochemical technologies to build high-throughput mutation discovery platforms in plants, microbes, or other model systems. The Research Specialist – Molecular Discovery will collaborate across functional teams to provide scientific guidance and direction, as well as leverage Cibus’ expertise in Computational Biology, Molecular Screening, Gene Editing, and other core areas. The Research Specialist will also help to mentor junior scientists and communicate project updates throughout the company. This position offers an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to learn, grow, and broadly influence in a dynamic environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Deep understanding and practical experience with a wide range of Molecular Biology protocols for DNA/RNA manipulations, PCR, qPCR, etc.
- Expertise building functional complementation and phenotypic selection assays in plants, microbes, and/or other model systems.
- Demonstrated success developing high-throughput mutation discovery platforms, including the ability to leverage computational and NGS approaches towards mutation discovery and enzyme improvement.
- Plant Biology expertise is beneficial, but not essential.
- Exercises technical discretion with experimental design, execution, and interpretation. An independent problem solver who demonstrates leadership in the laboratory by proactively contributing innovative ideas and executing scientific investigations with precision and sharp attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, demonstrated success using both oral and written strategies to communicate project proposals, status, and direction.
- Has a strong sense of accountability and team driven success. Able to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and fast-pasted R&D environment
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB1914.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.