Current Job Openings
Group Leader – High-Throughput Screening
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: Ph.D.
Area(s) of expertise desired: Molecular Biology, Molecular Screening, NGS, Gene Editing
Job Code: MB1907
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax, and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
We have an immediate opening for a Group Leader – High-Throughput Screening who can help us to revolutionize plant breeding and trait development using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology platform to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature’s own genetic diversity. The position requires a Ph.D. degree or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Genetics, Bioinformatics, Plant Biology, or related field with a minimum of 8+ years of experience working in a research and/or development environment; post-doctoral work may serve as experience. Alternatively, a BA/BS degree with 15+ years of experience or a MA/MS degree with 12+ years of experience is required.
The successful applicant will lead Cibus’ automated high-throughput molecular screening and candidate identification platform supporting its patented RTDS™ gene editing technologies. This position will play a central role in building and implementing a vision of an automated and scalable gene editing production platform by overseeing a multi-disciplinary team of 6-10 individuals focused on high-throughput screening of biological materials across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. Responsibilities of the Group Leader include ensuring all day to day screening requests and resource requirements are met, defining and implementing team objectives, identifying process gaps and assessing new opportunities to drive continuous platform improvement, defining and implementing assay development and production QC standards, managing external interactions with service providers and collaborators, enabling career development success for both direct and indirect reports, and performing laboratory tasks as needed. The Group Leader will collaborate across departments on the development of high-throughput biological processes and integrate with other functional teams to assess project needs, determine scientific direction, and ensure milestone achievement. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to broadly influence at all levels of the company from project conception to commercial production.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a dynamic team to achieve both technical and professional growth success. Leads by example, using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration. Has a strong sense of enablement with a demonstrated ability to achieve success through both direct and indirect supervision.
- Broad scientific capabilities with a demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional teams, providing scientific guidance and direction to achieve success.
- A skilled motivator, capable of influencing at all levels of an organization.
- Expertise with a range of molecular screening technologies such as targeted amplicon resequencing, whole genome sequencing (WGS), and other NGS, PCR, and qPCR-based SNP detection and RNA expression workflows. Can oversee all aspects of assay development from design to validation.
- Demonstrated experience building and/or overseeing automated high-throughput workflows. Strong capabilities to leverage automation to improve efficiency and quality.
- Prior experience working in a biological production environment and/or with Quality Management Systems such as Six Sigma or Kaizen is desirable.
- Deep theoretical and practical experience with a broad suite of Molecular Biology protocols and an understanding of Gene Editing technologies.
- Strong proactive communicator, demonstrated success using both oral and written strategies to communicate project proposals, status, and direction.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Strong organizational skills and capable of identifying and managing external interactions such as service providers and other collaborations.
- Capable of achieving success in a dynamic and fast-pasted R&D environment, is a strong promoter and implementer of change.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB1907.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.