Current Job Openings
Senior Research Specialist – Next Generation Sequencing
Location: San Diego, California-San Diego 92121
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of expertise desired: Molecular Biology and Screening
Job Code: MB1833
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax, and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
We have an immediate opening for a Research Specialist or Senior Research Specialist – Next Generation Sequencing who can help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature’s own genetic diversity. The position requires a B.A./B.S. or MA/MS degree or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Bioinformatics, Plant Biology, or related field. A BA/BS with 5+ years of experience working in an R&D or research environment or MA/MS with 2+ years of experience is required for the Research Specialist. A BA/BS with 8+ or MA/MS with 5+ years of experience is required for the Senior Research Specialist level. The hiring level is dependent upon the applicant’s prior experience.
The Research Specialist or Senior Research Specialist will play a central role to help run Cibus’ automated high-throughput molecular screening platform supporting its patented RTDS™ gene editing technology by driving Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) assay development efforts. Responsibilities include performing all aspects of NGS targeted amplicon resequencing assay development from design to validation, including data analysis and assay automation, direct supervision of 1-2 junior researchers, improving process efficiency, and helping identify and assess new screening technologies. The Research Specialist or Senior Research Specialist will integrate with different functional teams to contribute scientific expertise and assess project needs.
- An expert with all aspects of NGS targeted amplicon resequencing applications from assay design to validation.
- Prior experience automating high-throughput NGS library preparation.
- Prior experience running NGS analysis worfklows, including automated high-throughput workflows, and the ability to perform basic statistical analyses.
- Theoretical understanding and practical experience with a broad suite of NGS applications and platforms, as well as general Molecular Biology protocols.
- An understanding of modern Gene Editing technologies is also desired.
- Strong potential to supervise 1-2 junior research associates. Leads by example, using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Proactive communicator, demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate updates.
- Capable of achieving success in a dynamic and fast-pasted R&D environment, is a flexible in the capacity to adapt and promote change.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
This position offers an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to help influence both basic science and product development using cutting edge gene editing technology.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB1833.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.