Current Job Openings
Research Specialist – Plant Molecular Discovery
Location: San Diego, California-San Diego 92121
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular
Required Education: M.S. or B.S. with experience
Area(s) of expertise desired: Protein Biochemistry and Interactions, Molecular Biology, Plant Biology and Disease
Job Code: MB1819
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax, and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
We have an immediate opening for a Research Specialist - Plant Molecular Discovery who can help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature's own genetic diversity. The position requires a M.S. degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Plant Biology, or related field with a minimum of 2 years of experience working in a research environment or a BA/BS with 5 years of experience.
The successful applicant will play a critical role supporting Cibus' patented RTDS™ gene editing platform by helping develop new traits to control plant diseases in agriculturally important crops. This position will report to the Senior Research Scientist leading Cibus' Plant Disease Molecular Discovery efforts and work with a team of researchers who use a range of molecular, cellular, and biochemical technologies in plants and other model systems to identify and characterize potential new RTDS™ gene editing targets related to plant disease. The primary responsibility of the Research Specialist - Plant Molecular Discovery is to ensure effective execution of a range of plant, molecular, and protein-protein interaction experiments to identify and dissect novel plant - pathogen interactions. There will also be opportunities to help mentor junior scientists, communicate project updates throughout the company, and to interact across multiple functional areas including plant pathology and crop gene editing teams. This position offers an exciting opportunity for a talented individual to learn, grow, and influence in a dynamic environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Deep understanding and practical experience with a range of modern technologies related to Molecular Biology such as cloning, DNA/RNA manipulations, PCR, qPCR and western blotting.
- Deep understanding and extensive experience with a range of protein-protein interaction technologies such as yeast two-hybrid, pull down assays or other related technologies.
- Understanding and experience using functional assays.
- Exercises technical discretion with experimental design, execution, and interpretation. Demonstrates leadership in the laboratory by proactively contributing innovate ideas and executing scientific investigations with precision and sharp attention to detail.
- Able to independently manage one or more short term projects while meeting deadlines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including preparation of technical reports, SOPs, and presenting scientific progress.
- Capable of influencing and motivating others, including effective mentoring of junior researchers.
- An independent problem solver with strong organizational skills.
- Has a strong sense of accountability and team driven success. Able to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and fast-pasted R&D environment.
- Prior experience in the field of plant-pathogen interaction and/or an interest to pursue a career in this area is highly desired. Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech environment is also desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB1819.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.