If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Desktop Support Technician II
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time/Contract/Intern
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Computer systems, security, network and systems administration, databases and data storage systems, and telecommunications systems
Job Code: IT2238
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a (Service Desk II) to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
Purpose or Objective of Position:
The Service Desk II’s role is to ensure proper computer operation so that end users can accomplish business tasks. This includes actively resolving escalated end-user help requests within established SLAs. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic and help request tracking tools, as well as require that the individual give in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level.
Acquisition & Deployment:
- Deploy pre-packaged software as needed using automated deployment tools.
- Assist in software releases and rollouts according to change management best practices.
- Assisting in providing Level II support when request volumes are high.
- Act as an escalation point for advanced or difficult help requests.
- Build rapport with service desk customers.
- Escalate incidents with accurate documentation to suitable technician or vendor, when required.
- Record, track, and document the service desk incident-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Use remote tools and diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Research solutions through internal and external knowledgebase as needed.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level when remote tools are not appropriate, including hardware repairs, delivery of peripherals, or other fixes as determined.
- Install antivirus software and ensure virus definitions are up to date.
- Perform preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of servers, including checking and cleaning of workstations, printers, and peripherals.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups with Level I Technicians as required.
- Develop help sheets and FAQ lists for end users.
- Contribute to technician knowledgebase and training as needed.
- Reinforce SLAs to manage end-user expectations.
- Provide suggestions for continual improvement.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or  years equivalent work experience preferred.
- Certifications in CompTIA A+, HDI & ITIL preferred.
- 1-2 years of hands on experience.
- Knowledge of advanced computer hardware, including HP Laptops, Logitech peripherals, Avaya phone systems and other key systems.
- Experience with desktop and server operating systems, including RDP protocols, data delivery layers, call center technologies.
- Extensive application support experience with support experience with Okta, Office 365, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe products.
- Working knowledge of a range of diagnostic utilities, including Bomgar remote support, HP support portal.
- Experience working in an ITIL-driven environment and working knowledge of ITIL principles and processes.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Fluent English language skills.
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues is required.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly, business-friendly, and technical language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- 40-hour onsite work week.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: IT2238.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.