If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Code: HR2187
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Payroll Specialist to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
Manages the payroll process and performs accounting-related tasks in support of company’s objectives which includes multi-state/provinces in US and Canada entities. Gathers, inputs and processes payroll data, while ensuring withholdings and/or deductions associated with employees net pay is accurate, and do this all in compliance with Federal, State, and local laws.
Essential Job Duties:
- Responsible for bi-weekly payroll processing for approximately 120+ employees in the US and Canada (this includes new hires, terminations, salary changes, etc.).
- Includes processing US (Paylocity) and International payroll for Canada (PayTrack/Blue Marble).
- Calculate and process special checks, and review, edit and make corrections and adjustments as needed.
- Oversees the distribution of paychecks.
- Ensures that payroll records are updated and report on any matters of interest.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws.
- Responsible for balancing payroll runs.
- Solves problems concerning payroll, answers inquiries, and enforces payroll policies.
- Serves and sets up garnishment orders when received from external agencies
- Review hourly employee timesheets for accuracy, proper signoff and approval.
- Review time off requests and ensure approval.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.) for management.
- Performs various journal entries, account reconciliations, and provides general ledger support.
- Process and manage year end W-2 reporting.
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related work experience in accounting or finance is required.
- Minimum of four years of Accounting, Finance and Payroll experience including account reconciliations and journal entries. Certified Payroll Professional preferred.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be detail-oriented and display a high degree of accuracy
- Must be able to meet deadlines
- PC and Microsoft Excel Proficiency
- Data Entry Skills
- General Math Skills
- Experience with Paylocity and Microsoft GP Dynamics (Great Plains) a plus
- Must have the ability to interpret reports and analyze data with attention to detail.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills including the ability to recommend options and implement solutions.
- Must be detail and service oriented, and reliable.
- Works well under pressure to meet multiple deadlines in a timely manner.
- Excellent computer, communication, and collaborative skills.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed and occasionally work a flexible schedule based on workload and deadlines. Peak times include month-end and year-end close, and audits.
- Support a smart balance of working remotely and in the office
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: HR2187.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.