If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Research Associate/ Sr Research Associate, Greenhouse Operations
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full Time
Required Education: The ideal candidate will have a B.Sc. degree in Horticulture, Plant Science, Agronomy, Biology, or related field and a minimum of 3 years’ experience working in research and/or production greenhouse environment.
Salary Range: $67,500 - $78,000
Job Code: GR2403
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Sr. Research Associate, Greenhouse Operations to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
- Support the greenhouse and growth room activities, which includes plant cultivation, devitalization, space planning and maintenance of the greenhouse supply inventory.
- Coordinate with Greenhouse Operations and Product Development teams to solicit irrigation needs, provide customer service, and execute project work plans.
- Actively lead installation and maintenance projects related to greenhouse irrigation systems.
- Coordinate with Greenhouse Operations team on all climate control scheduling, including ensuring that the climate control systems are functioning.
- Manage assigned greenhouse or growth chambers to successfully grow plants and deliver seeds to project managers.
- Participate in the improvement of greenhouse infrastructure or processes as needed.
Knowledge, Experience, Skills:
- B.Sc. degree in Horticulture, Plant Science, Agronomy, Biology, or related field with minimum of 5 years’ experience working in greenhouse environment.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated expertise in the following areas: plant cultivation, plant nutrients, soil and growth media, automated irrigation systems, greenhouse climate control systems (e.g., Microgrow), and hydroponics.
- Familiarity with local greenhouse and/or horticultural supply vendors and procurement strategies.
- Experience working with field row crops in a controlled environment facility (greenhouse or growth chamber) is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Proficient in Excel and MS Office suite. MS Access or other database experience a plus.
- Manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Strong foundation in following SOPs. Able to develop and review SOPs and perform troubleshooting on procedures.
- Ability to adapt to changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Ability to work under greenhouse and/or field conditions, including lifting, bending, and tolerating high temperatures for brief periods is required.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work in high temperature and humidity conditions periodically throughout the summer months.
- Willing to obtain a pesticide applicator’s license.
- Willing to monitor plants and experiments during the weekend on a rotating schedule or as needed.
- Willing to travel to offsite greenhouse and field station locations to address business and project needs.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail your resume to and put down job code: GR2403.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.