If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Production Associate – High-Throughput Genotyping
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $62,000 to $74,000
Areas of Expertise Desired: Automation, DNA Extraction, Molecular Biology, Genotyping, Molecular Diagnostics
Job Code: GE2404
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Production Associate – High-Throughput Genotyping position to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented gene editing technology. The successful applicant will help to run automated high-throughput workflows to genotype gene edited materials across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. The position is contract-based, with the possibility of being extended based on business needs. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to learn and grow in a dynamic R&D environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- B.Sc. degree in Biological Science or Engineering with 0+ years of experience or an AA/HS diploma with 2+ years of experience.
- Prior experience running automated liquid handlers or similar equipment is desired.
- Hands on experience with DNA extraction, PCR, qPCR and/or NGS Target Amplicon Resequencing.
- Able to follow Standard Operating Procedures and provide feedback to improve process efficiency.
- Experience in documentation and batch record (e.g., tracking and filing production documents and batch record)
- Process oriented mindset with strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment.
- Excellent sample and data tracking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to record in a clear, accurate manner.
- Highly proficient in Excel and MS Office suite.
- Proactive and effective communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies as well as analytical skillset to analyze data.
- Operate Hamilton Star automated liquid handlers to perform DNA extraction, NGS Library preparation and qPCR/dPCR-based molecular genotyping workflows.
- Perform production runs (e.g., NGS library preparation, qPCR, etc.), and quality control checks.
- Prepare and quality check samples and reagents for genotyping processes.
- Prepare production documents and batch records for daily operation.
- Initiate qPCR reactions and help with data analysis and reporting.
- Contribute ideas to help identify process gaps and improve process efficiency.
- Monitor inventory including plastics, reagents and supplies based on the upcoming needs and forecast.
- Liaison of waste management and maintain active communication with safety committee.
- Learn and operate other automated equipment as part of a flexible production workforce.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail your resume to and put down job code: GE2404.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.