If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Sr Research Associate – Assay Development
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: $66,000 - $77,000
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Automation, DNA Extraction, Molecular Biology, Genotyping, Molecular Diagnostics
Job Code: GE2328
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a contract Associate – High-throughput Genotyping position to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented gene editing technology. The successful applicant will help to run automated high-throughput workflows to genotype gene edited materials across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. The position is contract-based, with the possibility of being extended based on business needs. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to learn and grow in a dynamic R&D environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Assist in the design, execution, and optimization of high throughput genotyping workflows, including DNA extraction, PCR, and next-generation sequencing library preparation.
- Operate and maintain liquid handling systems such as Hamilton machines, ensuring the efficiency and quality of the genotyping process.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and troubleshooting of scripts and protocols to automate and manage various workflows.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to support project needs, providing expertise in genotyping and automation technologies.
- Analyze and interpret experimental results, identifying areas for improvement or optimization.
- Stay current with the latest industry trends, technologies, and best practices in genotyping and automation.
- Contribute to maintaining laboratory safety and quality control standards.
- Regularly document and maintain detailed records of experimental procedures, results, and data analysis to ensure proper documentation and reproducibility.
- Participate in regular team meetings and project updates to ensure effective communication and collaboration.
- Assist in the evaluation and implementation of new genotyping technologies and laboratory equipment to improve throughput, efficiency, and data quality.
- Conduct routine quality control checks of reagents, consumables, and equipment to maintain high standards of performance and reliability.
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures (SOPs) and best practices for the genotyping laboratory.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in molecular biology, genetics, bioinformatics, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a genotyping or molecular biology laboratory setting.
- Familiarity with various genotyping techniques, including PCR and next-generation sequencing library preparation.
- Experience with liquid handling systems, particularly Hamilton machines, is a plus.
- Basic understanding of scripting languages such as Python, R, or similar for workflow automation and data analysis.
- Good problem-solving and troubleshooting abilities.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail your resume to and put down job code: GE2328.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.