If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Director – Brassica Trait Services
Location: North America – Canada/USA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: M.S., PhD or equivalent
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Brassica plant breeding, Trait & Technology Integration, Commercial product positioning
Job Code: CO2285
Are you a leader looking for a dynamic opportunity in the Canola and Brassica Industry and have a drive for Innovation in Biotechnology and Commercialization of agricultural products?
We are seeking a multifaceted individual to lead the engagement and enablement of Seed Company partners on advancing gene edited trait products through their product development and breeding pipelines for commercial release.
As we prepare to bring innovation to the Canola and Winter Oilseed Rape utilizing our breakthrough Brassica gene editing technology platform, Cibus has an immediate opening for Director, Trait Services.
The successful applicant will oversee relationships with canola and winter oilseed rape (WOSR) plant breeders including identifying and strategic deployment of new customer breeding lines into the Cibus trait pipeline, communicating trait development progress, and providing support for efficient trait integration into customer germplasm and new trait value positioning with plant breeding customers. This position will serve as the face of Cibus with external canola/WOSR plant breeders and work in collaboration with Cibus Crop Business Directors and Product Development.
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile, and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity. Cibus is working to develop the first industrialized gene-editing platform through standardized, scaled production capability known as the Cibus Trait Machine.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
- Act as the Cibus contact and play an advisory role with customer plant breeders for current and future collaborations to deliver superior customer service.
- Serve as the Customer Technical representative on Brassica Commercial Trait Launch teams.
- Develop Cibus trait integration strategy for current and future Brassica traits aligned with each customer’s unique needs.
- Partner with Research, Product Development, Trait Production and Commercial leadership to align both short term Brassica trait strategic objectives and tactical plans.
- Partner with Trait Product Management and Product Development to develop and manage Cibus trait stewardship strategy and implementation.
- Build and maintain effective Brassica industry breeder networks and relationships.
- Provide technical support to Brassica Business Directors on annual and long-term financial and trait development plans aligned with Brassica customer needs.
- MS/PhD in plant breeding.
- Well-developed knowledge of canola breeding principles with direct experience managing a canola or WOSR breeding program.
- Advanced knowledge of new plant breeding innovation including marker assisted breeding, gene editing and transgenic plant trait development.
- Ability to work effectively across functional teams with experience as a scientist and working in a commercial development organization.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams of direct and indirect reports.
- Track record of developing strong industry relationships with highly developed influencing skills.
- Able to communicate with all levels of management and peers within the organization.
- A strong collaborator who can work across diverse teams to drive projects to completion and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a matrix structure.
- An entrepreneurial self-starter who is results oriented.
- Willing to travel internationally up to 35% of the time.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: CO2285.