Current Job Openings
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Reports To: CFO
Job Code: CF2118
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reduce waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Controller to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature's own genetic diversity.
The Controller is responsible for:
- The Controller oversees the financial accounting operations of the Company.
- The Controller manages the financial accounting records and is primary responsible for quarterly and year end SEC 10-Q and 10-K filings. The Controller is responsible for ensuring that these are issued on time, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and that they fairly and accurately reflect the Company's current financial position.
- For Company’s foreign subsidiaries, the Controller oversees their financial accounting operations and ensures their reporting and control systems fall within the parameters set by the US parent company.
- Post potentially becoming a Public Company the financial statements will be subject to yearly third-party audits, including the release of the results of the audits to the public: the Controller is responsible to coordinate this process and ensure that the auditors have all the information they need to render an accurate judgment of the Company's financial statements. The Controller must stay apprised of all the local, state and federal tax laws, US Generally Accepted Accounting Policies and Public Company Standards and Practices and business regulations that affect the Company and ensure that the Company operates within the proper parameters.
- The Controller ensures financial accounting, reporting and other financial systems are maintained well and serve and meet Public Company Standards.
- The Controller collaborates closely with the Financial Planning and Analysis Function to ensure high quality management accounting, including budget and forecasting processes and actual versus budget variance analysis.
- The Controller plays a key-role in the US operational local leadership teams.
- Drive the full financial accounting operations.
- Ensure timely, accurate and compliant Financial Reporting.
- Represent Finance to key tax, legal and audit stakeholders.
- Maintain standardized, compliant & fit for purpose processes.
- Continued delivery of Financial Reporting and related communication.
- Seamless fit within the existing Finance Team and effectively lead the US Finance Team.
- Expert understanding of US Generally Accepted Accounting Policies and Public Company Standards and Practices.
- High understanding of legal entity governance frameworks.
- High understanding of business end to end processes and internal controls necessary to safeguard the Company’s assets and comply with Public Company laws.
- Intermediate knowledge of US tax rules, and ability to liaise with Company’s outside tax preparers.
- The Controller needs to possess a strong numerical proficiency, good problem-solving skills and excellent use of logic.
- Excellent leadership skills and a big-picture method to approaching tasks.
- Good communicator: strong foundation in all forms of written and verbal communication skills; along with external partnerships.
- Leadership and people management: demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques to influence, motivate and lead others. Ability to plan and prioritize, meet deliverables and targeted deadlines.
- Able to analyze and understand end to end processes.
- Organizational awareness: strong cultural fit within the Finance Team and broader Cibus organization.
- People Management & Teamwork skills (ability to work with diverse people and teams).
- Qualified accountant with at least 15 years’ experience in relevant roles and field – preferred in public company environments.
- Licensed CPA required.
- Keen demonstrated strengths in unquestionable integrity and trustworthiness.
- Experience in working in more complex international organizations.
- Proficiency with relevant accounting and reporting software (e.g. Great Plains, Adaptive WorkDay).
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: CF2118.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.