Current Job Openings
Research Associate – Cell Culture Automation Associate
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full Time
Required Education: B.Sc. or equivalent
Job Code: CCAP2018
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reduce waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
The ideal candidate will have an Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Cellular or Molecular Biology, Plant Biology or other relevant scientific discipline and 0-2 years’ experience working with automation in a research or production lab environment.
This position will assist in the operation of a semi-automated platform supporting Cibus’ patented RTDS™ gene editing technology. The successful applicant will be expected to assist with all aspects of the workflow, including tracking and maintaining plant cell culture production batches, operating existing robotic equipment to track and manipulate cell lines, integrating new automated systems into existing workflows, performing data entry, and querying a database.
Responsibilities will involve carrying out a variety of manual and automated cell line material handling processes, sample monitoring and management, image collection and analysis, data retrieval and processing, and communicating with third party vendors to enable success.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to learn and contribute to the development of new methods in a matrixed environment focused on cutting edge technology.
- Prior experience with automation systems and/or an interest in this area
- Excellent sample and data tracking skills, attention to detail, and highly organized
- Familiarity of cell biology principles and practices
- Practical experience with aseptic technique, media preparation, and plant tissue culture systems
- Highly proficient in Excel and MS Office suite. MS Access or other database experience a plus
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, follow SOPs and record procedures in a clear, accurate manner
- Prior experience working in a quality control system is a plus
- Efficient communication with supervisor and fellow team members through meetings, report writing, and oral presentations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ability to work long periods standing at dedicated workstations conducting routine operator tasks
- Available to work weekends and/or overtime during peak periods
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to referencing job code: CCAP2018.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.