If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Sr. Research Associate – Systems Development
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular
Required Education: B.S. with 2-5 years of laboratory experience or M.S. with 0-2 years of experience in a scientific discipline or equivalent relevant experience at a similar level required
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Automation, flow cytometry, molecular biology, plant cell culture
Job Code: CC2145
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Sr. Research Associate in flow cytometry and systems development to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
The ideal candidate will have a M.S. degree in Biological Sciences or in a related discipline with a minimum of 3-4 years’ experience in a research and/or development environment and demonstrated working knowledge of recombinant protein production/QC/analysis, molecular biology techniques; or its equivalent. The candidate is expected to work independently with minimal supervision.
- The position requires the integration of a cell sorter into cell culture workflows to enhance the success of an automated platform supporting Cibus’ patented RTDS™ gene editing technology. The successful applicant will be expected to develop the application with his/her supervisor and oversee its deployment. He/she is also expected to participate in all aspects of the current automated workflow, including maintenance of plant cell cultures, isolation and transfection of plant cells, operation of various Fluorescence-Activated Cell Sorters (FACS), data analysis, culture media production, and microbe control. Individual must be creative, willing to innovate, and confident in running and troubleshooting FACS instrumentation independently. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to learn, grow, and contribute to the development of new methods in a matrixed environment focused on cutting edge technology.
Knowledge, Experience, & Skills:
- A minimum of 1 year hands-on experience with flow cytometer analyzers and/or cell sorters including template development and design, instrument maintenance, compensation, troubleshooting, and data analysis is required.
- Prior experience with aseptic technique, plant cell tissue culture methods, molecular biology, and in vitro plant regeneration systems is a plus.
- Excellent data tracking skills, attention to detail, and highly organized.
- Desire and willingness to improve process efficiency, innovation, and use best judgment to solve problems with moderately complex assignments.
- Effective oral and written communication skills. Proactively communicates with supervisor, teammates, and cross-functional team members; proficient at preparing progress reports and presentations with minimal guidance
- Strong sense of accountability; self-motivated, confident and enjoys working in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and fast-paced research environment.
- Highly proficient in MS Office suite. Experience with Verity Software House WinList, or FlowJo is a plus.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and refer to job code: CC2145.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.