If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Production Specialist - Media Production and Automation
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular (swing or second shift)
Required Education: Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent at a similar level. A minimum of 5 years lab experience with a bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 2 years’ experience with a master’s degree
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Culture Media preparation, Automation, Plant Tissue Culture
Job Code: CC2135
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Production Specialist – Media Production and Automation to help us to revolutionize plant breeding.
- The position will oversee all day-to-day requirements of large-scale media production, in support of an automated platform that is part of Cibus’ patented RTDS™ gene editing technology. The successful applicant will lead a small team and participate in all hands on activities by being responsible for all aspects of media preparation including pouring plates of media for use in gene editing production activities, stock calculations, unit conversions, dilutions, use of aseptic technique, instrument maintenance (balances, pH meters, osmometer), chemical inventory, and quality control. This position will also participate in the development of an automated media platform that can scale with company needs, including tracking process performance metrics, assessing bottlenecks, and procuring capital equipment capable of fully automated processes. The successful individual must be self-motivated, capable of working independently, highly attentive to detail, and have a track record of successful innovation and troubleshooting around laboratory workflows. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to learn, grow, and contribute to the development of new methods in a matrixed environment focused on cutting-edge technology.
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:
- 5 years of experience in a laboratory setting (university or biotech) with a bachelor’s or 2 years’ experience with a master’s degree is desired.
- Candidate will ensure that media production needs for the company are met and sustainable with scaling demand.
- Prior experience with aseptic technique, media production, and managing personnel is a must.
- The ability to generate, optimize, and update media-related SOPs is required.
- Candidate must be highly organized, work independently, and pay attention to detail.
- Candidate will be responsible for managing 2+ employees focused on the production of media.
- Successful candidate will have the desire and willingness to improve process efficiency, participate in the innovation of an automated media system, and use best judgment to solve problems.
- Effective oral and written communication skills are a must. Proactively communicates with supervisor, teammates, and cross-functional team leads regarding media needs; proficient at preparing progress reports and presentations without guidance.
- Strong sense of accountability; self-motivated, and enjoys working in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and fast-paced research environment.
- Proficient in MS Office suite and willing to learn and utilize existing LIMS system.
- Candidate must be available for a swing or 2nd shift work schedule (flexible, depending upon availability).
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: CC2135.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.