If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular
Required Education: AA or BA
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Cell Biology, Gene Editing, Ag Biotech
Job Code: CB2260
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Production Lead in the Automation Core team. This position will be a part of a team focused on scaling our gene edited trait production pipeline. The position requires BA/BS degree in Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Plant Biology, or related field with a minimum of 2+ years of experience working in a biotech production environment. Alternatively, an AA/AS degree with 5+ years of experience is required.
The successful applicant will support Trait Machine Cell Biology Production operations and development of an automated cell culture platform supporting its patented RTDS gene editing technologies. The Lead Production Associate requires a variety of skills necessary for Production Operations activities. The Lead Production Associate will lead and assist the production team in understanding and complying with new processes. The position will work within defined protocols and procedures and may develop and document new procedures for production use.
- The Lead Production Associate is expected to possess a thorough understanding of laboratory procedures and conduct work within Quality Standard guidelines
- Participate in and lead simple and complex Production activities, including sampling on custom automation, and sorting using flow cytometry, generating appropriate documentation for production batches
- Develop Production Associates via operator training/certification programs, acting as a certified trainer
- Participate in developing, transferring, scaling, and validating manufacturing processes, in accordance with company procedures and quality system standards
- Responsible for driving process improvements, through the Change Request / Change Order process, or via other means
- Generate Nonconforming Material Reports, assist with Investigations and Corrective Actions including any deliverables associated with these items
- Assist inventory planning for Kanban and ERP system for raw materials, intermediates, disposables, and spare parts related to the Production areas
- Participate with generating performance metrics and productivity metrics to drive process improvements and ensure visibility to leadership and team
- Generate the weekly Production assignments and schedule, following the pre-set plan established by Production management
- Individual will lead continuous improvement projects and support other areas needs dependent on demand
- Support the Operations department in other non-laboratory functions, as determined by Operations management
- Evidence of strong analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to make rational decisions with limited information and operate independently
- This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to broadly influence at all levels of the company from project conception to commercial scale production.
- Leadership capability and ability to mentor and train others
- Capability to develop, transfer and thoroughly document new processes and production procedures
- Experience overseeing multiple projects with a strong ability to troubleshoot issues
- Demonstrates a basic theoretical understanding of the work tasks assigned
- Ability to complete assignments in expected time frames and independently seek out additional work with tasks are completed ahead of time
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve to initiate corrective action
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork
- Experience with laboratory information management systems, inventory management and database development.
- Leads by example and willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Has a strong sense of enablement with a demonstrated ability to achieve success through direct and indirect reporting responsibilities.
- Demonstrated track record of innovation and improvement of managed processes.
- Broad scientific capabilities with a demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional teams, providing guidance and direction to achieve success.
- A skilled motivator, capable of influencing at all levels of an organization.
- Strong proactive communicator demonstrated success using both oral and written strategies to communicate project status, and direction.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Strong organizational skills and capable of identifying and managing external interactions such as service providers and other collaborations.
- Capable of achieving success in a dynamic and fast-paced Production and/or R&D environment, is a strong promoter and implementer of change.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is required.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: CB2260.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.