If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Research Associate – Trait Machine Production (Cell Biology)
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Contractor
Required Education: M.S. or equivalent
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Cell Biology, Plant Tissue Culture, Shoot Regeneration and Multiplication Systems, Quality Systems Management
Job Code: CB2183
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Research Associate – Trait Machine Production (Cell Biology). The position requires a M.Sc. degree or equivalent in Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Plant Biology, or related field with a minimum of 2+ years of experience working in a research and/or development environment. Alternatively, a BA/BS degree with 5+ years of experience is required.
- Oversee teams and participate in the day to day responsibilities for the regeneration of plants from tissue cultures in the cell biology trait production pipeline, including scheduling, logistics, QC screening, and delivery to product development.
- Laboratory information management systems, inventory management and database development.
- Provide leadership, training and coaching of direct and indirect reports within the organizational structure.
- Implement robust quality controls to ensure minimal production loss and maintain efficient processes.
- Identify ways to improve process efficiency and collaborate with development teams to transfer new technologies to the production pipeline.
- Enable success of up- and down- stream activities in gene editing production system through cross-functional, matrixed collaboration.
- The candidate must have good theoretical and working knowledge of cell biology, preferably plant cell biology and tissue culture techniques.
- Experience with protoplast/cell culture methods, shoot regeneration through somatic embryogenesis and organogenesis, capable of troubleshooting tissue culture related procedures, identify process gaps and participation in all steps of standard operating procedure development.
- Expertise with a range of plant cell biology processes such as cell line induction, transformation, regeneration, and cell culture media preparation workflows for the purpose of trait development.
- Experience with laboratory information managing systems, developing databases, and inventory management.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a dynamic team to achieve both technical and professional growth success.
- Leads by example and willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Has a strong sense of enablement with a demonstrated ability to achieve success through direct and indirect reporting responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional teams, providing guidance and direction to achieve success.
- Strong organizational skills, skilled motivator, capable of influencing at all levels of an organization.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology production environment is highly desired.
- Good oral and written communication skills for the preparation of technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: CB2183.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.