If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Technical Writer – Trait Machine Production
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular
Required Education: MA/MS or equivalent relevant experience at a similar level required
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Cell Biology, Gene Editing, production documentation
Job Code: CB2176
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Technical Writer to help us to revolutionize our plant breeding process. This position will be a part of a team focused on scaling our gene edited trait production pipeline. The position requires a MA/MS degree in life sciences related field with a minimum of 5+ years of experience working in a production or manufacturing environment, or a MA/MS degree and minimum 2+ years of experience.
The successful applicant will be responsible for standardizing SOP’s, work instructions and batch records to improve traceability and consistency or production runs. This position will play a key role in scaling up the gene editing production platform by collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team focused on the generation, identification, and advancement of gene editing candidates through the cell biology production pipeline.
- Reviews and edits procedures related to the processes for culturing, sorting, sampling and molecular screening of gene edited tissues
- Identifies opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of procedures and processes.
- Review and edit existing documents and operating procedures based on direct observation of processes and review of existing SOP’s and batch records
- Create, review and update process maps as needed
- Collaborate with systems development and tech transfer teams to update procedures for new automation
- Track revisions and keep reviewers on schedule to complete document updates
- Maintain revision control of created and/or revised procedures and documents
- Create procedures based on standardized templates, create new templates where none currently exist
- Self-sufficient interaction with multiple teams to secure content necessary for procedure creation/revision
- The candidate must have good working knowledge of tissue culture. Prior experience with plant cell biology, tissue culture techniques, and automated production processes is preferred.
- Strong experience in creating templates, writing and formatting documents.
- Experience in creating and updating process flow diagrams in VISIO.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and complete projects on time.
- Ability to challenge the status quo and influence others to enable positive change.
- Ability to collaborate across functions to get review and buy in on new document revisions, templates and formats.
- Demonstrated track record of innovation and improvement of managed processes.
- Strong proactive communicator with demonstrated success using both oral and written strategies to communicate project status, and direction. Demonstrated skill in indirect influencing to enable others to succeed.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is highly desired.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: CB2176.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.