If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Supervisor, Production – Trait Machine Production
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular
Required Education: BA/BS or equivalent relevant experience at a similar level required
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Cell Biology, Gene Editing, Ag Biotech
Job Code: CB2175
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Production Supervisor to help us revolutionize plant breeding. This position will be a part of a team focused on scaling our gene edited trait production pipeline. The position requires a BA/BS degree in Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Plant Biology, or related field with a minimum of 8+ years of experience working in a production development environment. Alternatively, an AA degree with 10+ years of experience is required.
The successful applicant will lead a team responsible for Cibus’ Trait Machine Production operations and development of an automated cell culture platform supporting its patented gene-editing technologies. This position will play a central role in building and implementing a vision of an automated and scalable gene editing production platform by overseeing a multi-disciplinary team focused on the generation, identification, and advancement of gene editing candidates through the tissue culture production pipeline.
- Oversee team of 4-6 production associates and participate in the day-to-day responsibilities of the tissue culture trait production pipeline, including media prep, production run planning, scheduling, logistics, handoffs, and processing of biological materials being advanced in the gene editing pipeline.
- Work closely with the production manager and group leader to forecast and track resources and budgets, along with the development and maintenance of risk identification and mitigation strategies.
- Work closely with the production manager and group leader to define and implement team objectives for the development and execution of the cell biology processes.
- Provide leadership, training and coaching of direct and indirect reports within the organizational structure.
- Implement robust quality controls to ensure minimal production loss and maintain efficient processes.
- Identify ways to improve process efficiency and collaborate with development teams to transfer new technologies to the production pipeline
- Enable success of up- and down- stream activities in gene editing production system through cross-functional, matrixed collaboration.
- Promote communication and ensure that all team members and stakeholders are fully informed, knowledgeable, and current with project development and SOPs.
- Collaborate across department on the development of high-throughput biological processes and integrate with other functional teams to assess project needs, determine systems development direction, and ensure milestone achievement.
- This position offers an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to broadly influence at all levels of the company from project conception to commercial scale production.
- The candidate must have good theoretical and working knowledge of tissue culture in a production or manufacturing environment and have the interest to apply that experience to plant cell biology and tissue culture techniques.
- Capable of troubleshooting tissue culture related procedures, identifying process gaps and participation in all steps of standard operating procedure development and troubleshooting.
- Experience establishing and reporting on metrics and Key Performance Indicators, root cause analysis and managing corrective actions to support operations excellence.
- Experience with laboratory information management systems, inventory management and database development.
- Leads by example and willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Has a strong sense of enablement with a demonstrated ability to achieve success through direct and indirect reporting responsibilities.
- Demonstrated track record of improvement of managed processes.
- Broad scientific capabilities with a demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional teams, providing guidance and direction to achieve success.
- A skilled motivator, capable of influencing at all levels of an organization.
- Strong proactive communicator with demonstrated success using both oral and written strategies to communicate project status, and direction.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Strong organizational skills and capable of identifying and managing external interactions such as service providers and other collaborations.
- Capable of achieving success in a dynamic and fast-paced Production and/or R&D environment, is a strong promoter and implementer of change.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is highly desired.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: CB2175.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.