If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Senior Research Specialist
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S. or M.S.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Plant Biology, Cell Biology, Biotechnology
Job Code: CB2153
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Senior Research Specialist – The Crop Regeneration Team within our Trait Machine Production to help us to revolutionize plant breeding. This position will be a part of a team focused on improving the shoot regeneration for various crops. The position requires a MA/MS degree in Plant Biology, Cell Biology, Biotechnology, or related field with a minimum of 5+ years of experience working in a research and/or development environment; Alternatively, a BA/BS degree with 8+ years of experience is required.
- Execute strategies aimed at improving regeneration across our crop platforms.
- Define, develop, and implement project objectives to improve existing protocols and invent new processes for regenerating our key crops.
- Provide leadership, training and coaching junior research personnel within the team.
- Identify ways to improve process efficiency and collaborate with development teams to transfer new technologies into the production pipeline.
- Manage external interactions with functional teams to ensure the success of those teams.
- Ensure project milestones are on time and on budget.
- Expertise with a range of plant cell biology processes such as cell line induction, transformation, regeneration, and cell culture media preparation workflows for the purpose of trait development.
- Expertise with a range of plant molecular biology skills and genetics and genomics, such as single cell genomics.
- Expertise with plant development, such as embryogenesis and somatic embryogenesis, shoot and root development, stem cell specification.
- Deep theoretical and practical experience with a broad suite of Cell Biology protocols.
- Leads by example and willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Broad scientific capabilities with a demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional teams, providing guidance and direction to achieve success.
- A skilled motivator, capable of influencing at all levels of an organization.
- A strong proactive communicator demonstrated success using both oral and written strategies to communicate project proposals, status, and direction.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is highly desired, but not essential.
- Prior experiences working on crop transformation are highly desired, but not essential.
- Expertise with chemistry, such as inorganic and organic chemistry, is highly desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: CB2153.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.