If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Associate Director/Director – Automation
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: B.S., M.S. or equivalent
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Automation, Systems engineering, Mechanical engineering, Industrial-engineering, Bioengineering
Job Code: AU2252
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for an Associate Director or Director of Automation. This position will be a part of a team focused on scaling our gene edited trait production pipeline.
The successful applicant will oversee the development and implementation of automated solutions supporting its patented gene editing technologies. This position will play a central role in building and implementing a vision of an automated and scalable gene editing platform by overseeing a multi-disciplinary team.
- Lead and grow a multidisciplinary team responsible for addressing scalability bottlenecks and improving efficiency of high-throughput gene editing pipeline.
- Coordinate with cell biology, genotyping technologies, and technology development teams to design, deploy and validate new capabilities and lab automation solutions.
- Address scalability bottlenecks using a combination of custom and off-the-shelf automated systems and instrumentation.
- Model entire process end-to-end to determine opportunities and impacts of implementations within the gene editing system.
- Define and implement short, medium, and long-term objectives for the development and execution of automated, scalable workflows for cell and molecular biology process.
- Identify and manage external relationships with contract engineering and development collaborators focused on new and existing automated solutions.
- Interface with Tech Transfer, Assay Integration, and Production teams to transfer validated solutions into existing process.
- Provide leadership, training, and coaching of direct and indirect reports within the organizational structure.
- BS/MS in Systems, Mechanical, Industrial, Bio-Engineering, or related field with a minimum of 20+ years of experience for Director or 15+ years of experience for Associate Director. Alternatively, candidates having a BS degree with 25+ years of experience for Associate Director or 20+ years of experience for Associate Director will also be considered.
- Broad engineering capabilities. Capable of achieving success and influencing across diverse functional areas.
- Experience working with scientists or production operations teams on providing engineering solutions to solve Bioengineering challenges.
- Practical experience with biological laboratory operations and workflows, as well as high-throughput biological processes.
- Experience with laboratory automation systems and automated workflow design.
- Experience performing technical assessment of state-of-the-art technologies, including evaluating scope, risk, and business case of custom or off-the-shelf engineering solutions.
- Strong proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction
- A strong collaborator who can work across diverse teams to drive projects to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams of direct and indirect reports to achieve technical and professional growth success. A skilled motivator, capable of influencing at all levels of an organization.
- Leads by example and has a strong sense of accountability. Willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: AU2252.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.