Current Job Openings
Trait Integration Breeder - Product Development New
Location: San Diego, California - San Diego 92121
Position: Full-Time, Regular
Job Code: PD1810
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax, and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus, has an immediate opening for a Trait Integration Breeder in Product Development. This position is tasked with leading trait introgression and accelerated marker breeding projects in the trait development and product selection breeding pipeline. This role will collaborate with the Trait Development team responsible for validating Cibus RTDS™ derived traits using our advanced new breeding techniques, as well as integrate traits within our commercial breeding pipeline.
The ideal candidate will have a PhD degree or M.Sc., plus relevant years of experience in a commercial breeding role in one of the agricultural sciences such as Plant Science, Plant Breeding & Genetics, Agronomy, or related. Prior industry experience including knowledge of seed and/or trait product development is required. Experience in canola breeding or research is a plus.
- Manage introgression of traits into elite genetic backgrounds using marker assisted selection and other new breeding methodologies.
- Confirm phenotypic performance of converted inbreds and hybrids in controlled environment and field settings.
- Develop and validate molecular tools for trait introgression, breeding, and quality assurance of seeds and trait products.
- Manage quality assessment of seeds and trait products in breeding and pre-commercial pipeline prior to commercial seed production.
- Actively participate in multidisciplinary teams focused on trait development and commercial product release. Liaise with regulatory, field breeding, and commercial staff on project timelines to ensure product handoff milestones are achieved.
- File discovery disclosures, PBR, and PVP as appropriate.
- Supervise assigned full time and/or contract employees.
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:
- Experience with Canola research is desired.
- Strong understanding of genotyping and marker assisted selection methods.
- Strong understanding of trait development timelines and breeding methods.
- Ability to apply technical leadership and organizational skills to drive standardization and efficiency across product and pre-commercial development pipelines.
- Strong project management experience is desired.
- Previous experience working with Quality Assurance and Quality Control systems on seed and/or trait products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Experience working on teams in a highly matrixed environment is required
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and experimental design principles.
- Able to use judgment and make recommendations for resolving problems in complex assignments.
- Highly proficient in Excel and MS Office suite
- Experience managing breeding projects in a relational database environment. Experience with Agrobase a plus.
- Manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Strong foundation in following, developing, and troubleshooting SOPs.
- Ability to adapt to changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Coaching and supervisory responsibilities includes supervision of direct and indirect full time and contract employees.
- Ability to work under greenhouse and/or field conditions, including: lifting, bending and tolerating high temperatures for brief periods is required.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work in high temperature and humidity conditions periodically throughout the summer months.
- Willing to travel to offsite greenhouse and field station locations in San Diego area to conduct business and project needs.
- Position will require periodic international and/or domestic travel.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to referencing job code: PD1810.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.